HAI UPB PIM problem

Never saw that from UPStart before. Looks like it crashed while interacting with the switch. What happens if the switch isn't in setup mode (I'm guessing it just says "Failed to find Module in setup mode")? Finally, do you have the latest version of UPStart (v5.x iirc) loaded?

Never saw that from UPStart before. Looks like it crashed while interacting with the switch. What happens if the switch isn't in setup mode (I'm guessing it just says "Failed to find Module in setup mode")? Finally, do you have the latest version of UPStart (v5.x iirc) loaded?

It comes up when I click on Details after it fails to find module in setup. I am running UPStart 5.0 Build 2.

When the switch isn't in setup mode, it does the exact same thing. Looking at the details also looks the same.

I don't have a phase coupler and have a whole house surge protector in my circuit box. I don't want to have to buy the phase coupler unless I know that will solve it. Also would the whole house surge protector block any signals?

Thanks!

Using a extension cord try some other outlets. this will help determin a few things (phase or local source ...UPS...)

Try and move the PIM to the same circuit as the switch as suggested. There is always the possibility of a bad switch.

This seems similiar to my PIM GenII issue in http://www.cocoontech.com/index.php?showtopic=11248

I cannot see my GenI switches (UPB). What do you think?

-=*Sharby*=-

Sounds like its getting to be a mess. GenI and GenII are supposed to work with each other, but GenII can use either a active repeater, or a bridge, and bridges can be inverting or non-inverting. I don't think repeaters and bridges can be used together. GenII switches are more immune to noise, they say, but there less sensitive to low signal. GenI works best with a low signal. Simply Automated did't go to GenII because they feel low signal is a bigger problem than noise, and I probably agree with them. Web Mountain lets users pick GenI or GenII, same price.

It shouldn't be like this but I might recommend staying with one brand, either Gen, and if your switches don't work, complain to them. If you mix and match your going to get stuck in the blame game. Just my opinion.

This seems similiar to my PIM GenII issue in http://www.cocoontech.com/index.php?showtopic=11248

I cannot see my GenI switches (UPB). What do you think?

-=*Sharby*=-

Sounds like its getting to be a mess. GenI and GenII are supposed to work with each other, but GenII can use either a active repeater, or a bridge, and bridges can be inverting or non-inverting. I don't think repeaters and bridges can be used together. GenII switches are more immune to noise, they say, but there less sensitive to low signal. GenI works best with a low signal. Simply Automated did't go to GenII because they feel low signal is a bigger problem than noise, and I probably agree with them. Web Mountain lets users pick GenI or GenII, same price.

It shouldn't be like this but I might recommend staying with one brand, either Gen, and if your switches don't work, complain to them. If you mix and match your going to get stuck in the blame game. Just my opinion.

I totally agree.

However, I'm trying to just upgrade my PIM to GenII and keep all working GenI switches installed. For the 2nd noisy leg in my house (from the power company), I've already installed GenII switches that have eliminated my problem.

MAJOR problem is that the GenII PIM isn't seeing the GenI switches. More to come when I speak to PCS and Web Mountain tomorrow.

-=*Sharby*=-

Try and move the PIM to the same circuit as the switch as suggested. There is always the possibility of a bad switch.

i tried it on the same circuit as the switch and same thing still... its not finding the module. the PIM is gen1 and i'm fairly certain the switch is gen1 as well.

am i supposed to see any signal strength in upstart with just the PIM? or is that only after i add a module?

i hope the switch isn't bad.....

anything else i can try before i bite the bullet and possbily buy another switch to try?

thanks!

did you try a factory reset on either or both devices? I am a little rusty on this, I beleive it's 5 taps (flashes green) 10 taps (flashes red) 2 taps ( solid) Then try adding the switch.

Dave

anything else i can try before i bite the bullet and possbily buy another switch to try?

thanks!

did you try a factory reset on either or both devices? I am a little rusty on this, I beleive it's 5 taps (flashes green) 10 taps (flashes red) 2 taps ( solid) Then try adding the switch.

Dave

just tried resetting both and still no go... i guess i'll just have to try another switch to see...

Back