HAL on ABC's 'Extreme Makeover: Home Edition'

gorr

I know many here use the HomeSeer software, but you may still be interested:

Home Automated Living, HAL software will be used on ABC's Extreme Makeover: Home Edition this Sunday May 1st.

This show is usually on from 8-9 PM Eastern on ABC, however this episode is a two hour long special so it is starting at 7 PM Eastern time.
NOTE: It is actually 2 different episodes Part 1 at 7, Part 2 at 8.

In addition HAL will also be on ABC's How'd They Do That? on Monday, May 2nd from 8-9 PM Eastern. This show is a more in-depth look at what went into the home from the previous nights Extreme Makeover.

Here is a blurb about the show from the 'How'd They Do That?' web site.
http://abc.go.com/primetime/xtremehome/htdt.html

Greg from HAL Support

I was actually working on an announcement for the front page but you beat me to it. I ended up posting it anyways so Google News will pick it up immediatly, and hopefully draw some attention.

I look forward to seeing this episode, hopefully they will show how much home automation can be useful, and isn't just for geeks who like toys.

I saw something in the news (CNN site, I think) about the "winners" of these home makeover shows getting large tax bills afterwards. Some of these show producers had to modify their formula to actually give the people some cash along with the makeover just so that they could pay the tax man afterwards.

There is always a catch, even when it's free... but I'm glad this kind of program is popular and being done. We could use more of this sort of thing. Now if they'd just cap housing prices based on local incomes...

Guy Lavoie said:
I saw something in the news (CNN site, I think) about the "winners" of these home makeover shows getting large tax bills afterwards. Some of these show producers had to modify their formula to actually give the people some cash along with the makeover just so that they could pay the tax man afterwards.
Actually, I read that there was a work-around to the tax bill, and the driving force behind why the shows try do do everything in 7-days.

US tax law allows you to rent your primary residence for 1-week every year, with all rental income from that week being tax free. These home makeover shows "rent" the house from the winners for one week and pay the rent in the form of goods, services, scholarships, etc.

Perhaps, however, there's a cap or some of the items (like the trip the family is sent on) can't count towards the "tax free rent."

Considering that some of these families (particularly the family from last weekend) have incomes well below the poverty level, it would likely be impossible for them to even make enough money in a year to pay the taxes onone of these pries (I can easily se some of the makeovers totalling over $200,000).

So, perhaps the techniques above along with Guy's mention of the extra cash does the trick.

The only showed HAL for a few seconds, kind of disappointing, but hopefully tonight's show will show much more. They mentioned a microwave with VR, I assume this is a stand alone VR unit, or did someone figure out a way to control a microwave using HAL ? ;)

Yeah lets hope they show more of that stuff tonight. Maybe there is a microwave with an RS232 port...

John

As will frequently happen with shows some information is not exactly correct.

The microwave was not automated.

Other hardware contributed:
The lighting was all UPB protocol which HAL supports. Most of this, if not all, was donated by Simply Automated (www.simply-automated.com).

The Security as well as the PC (a Honeywell Server) that HAL was install on and talking to was donated by Honeywell with ADEMCO Vista 250 BP Security. www.honeywell.com

The thermostat was RCS TR16, www.resconsys.com.

The infrared control was the Ocelot by ADI, at www.appdig.com.

Greg from HAL Support

gorr said:
I know many here use the HomeSeer software, but you may still be interested:

Home Automated Living, HAL software will be used on ABC's Extreme Makeover: Home Edition this Sunday May 1st.

This show is usually on from 8-9 PM Eastern on ABC, however this episode is a two hour long special so it is starting at 7 PM Eastern time.
NOTE: It is actually 2 different episodes Part 1 at 7, Part 2 at 8.

In addition HAL will also be on ABC's How'd They Do That? on Monday, May 2nd from 8-9 PM Eastern. This show is a more in-depth look at what went into the home from the previous nights Extreme Makeover.

Here is a blurb about the show from the 'How'd They Do That?' web site.
http://abc.go.com/primetime/xtremehome/htdt.html

Greg from HAL Support
I'm looking for a taped copy of In addition HAL will also be on ABC's How'd They Do That? on Monday, May 2nd from 8-9 PM Eastern. I missed it, I tried to record it but the recorder was not set up right.

Send me a copy and I will send you back 2 DVD copies along with your copy you sent me.

I'm looking for a taped copy of ABC's How'd They Do That? on Monday, May 2nd from 8-9 PM Eastern. I missed it, I tried to record it but the recorder was not set up right.

Send me a copy and I will send you back 2 DVD copies along with your copy you sent me.

Back