Hardwired Lighting Control

noone289

I am looking for some recommendations for hardwired lighting systems. The ideal candidate would be:
Reliable
Easily available and supported
Affordable
Full Featured

in that order. The only systems I have found so far is the multiset(seems pricey) and C-BUS (not widely available in US yet).

Maybe I have unrealistic price expectations, but $75 for a multiset switch does seem expensive. Is this a reasonable price range?

I'm not set on deciding the specific system right now, per se. I'm really just trying to figure out what type of wire I should run to the switch box to allow the most flexibility in the future.

I.E. one of the big disadvantages to C-BUS is that it requires "C-BUS" cable which, I think, is cat5e cable with improved shielding. If this cable would be usable in many hardwired lighting systems, then I'll just run that, but I can't seem to find many diy-able hardwired systems to allow me to make that decision. Any help would be appreciated.

I don't think there are many DIY friendly hardwire systems, but thats not to say they can't be done DIY. I also assume this is for new construction, as hardwire is not very practical for retrofit. Also depends on what you will be using it with - like an Elk M1? There are 2 camps, Cat5 to switch and controller at other end like the OnQ or EDT or where you have a central controller wired to lights and Cat5 only to switch like Centralite. See these posts for more detail:

http://www.cocoontech.com/index.php?showtopic=4653
http://www.cocoontech.com/index.php?showtopic=4353
http://www.cocoontech.com/index.php?showtopic=4159

OK. So I looked at the referenced threads and, of course, have some questions. I'm a bit confused on the wiring for Centralite. Let me use a dining room for example to explain how I understand it.

the dr has 4 recessed on one switch, 1 chandelier on another, and 4 sconces on a third. Assuming this is a logical way of controlling the lighting I'm thinking that the prewire for:

centralite:
1 romex from the recessed lights, 1 romex from the chandelier and one romex from the sconces to the relay board.
romex from relay to the breaker panel
rj45 from the relay to the master control panel
1 cat5e homerun from the 6-button switch to the master control panel.

onq:
the recessed lights, chandelier and sconces would all have romex run to the switch location and from the switch to the breaker panel
the switch would have a cat5e home run to the master control panel

Do I understand these systems correctly? I see the flexibility of the centralite wiring, but it really makes the runs more complicated and adds extra components to the mix. Also, do I understand correctly that each relay board supports 6 distinct circuits (i.e. breakers)?

One last question, which of these categories does the C-Bus fall into? It seems like a hybrid, but I'm not sure i understand any of this correctly.

Thanks for your help

Hi Guys

Noone the Clipsal CBUS Pink cat5 just has a thicker outer sheath , this allows the pink cat5 to be run adjacent 240v wiring ie around the dimmer modules .........

I have retrofitted my existing home with CBUS ehich wasnt too hard but im a sparkie...

The standard CBUS switch here in Oz costs around $70.00 Oz ...$45 U.S ???

The really nice Saturn Switches cost around $250.00 Oz...$200.00 U.S. ???

With CBUS you run cat5 to all cbus switches , cbus dimmer modules ,cbus relay modules , cbus pirs etc.......

The 240v /110v wiring from each light would go back to a location where dimmer / relay modules are located....these modules would be supplied 240v /110v from a local or remote switchboard.....You could have your dimmer / relay modules all in one area or in different areas .........

Heres a link to my CBUS install ..... Have a look at the nice Saturn switch Link

http://www.hobby.armaghelectrical.com.au/page38.html

CBUS is supposed to be released in the States next month from what i hear , if the price is reasonable i would highly recommend having a look at it.....

HTH
Frank

The i-LiNE system from EDT would probably be the best hardwired solution for a DIY. It is easy to install, program, and use. The interface with HAI, ELK, and other systems is straightforward.

Marc

I have several rooms wired with Multiset by the previous owner, and they have been 100% reliable for about 2.5 years, and probably for 1 - 2 year before that with the previous owner. The problem is that they are incredible difficult / expensive to interface with a home automation system, at least from what I've found. The interface that ties each circuit to the PC is about $500, and as I understand it you would need one for each circuit you want to control. No way! In fact, I logged in today to post a question about how else I might interface these switches (i.e., idea fishing with the gurus on the board).

Back