heat on airduct and wires

Plenum jacketed cables are used in plenum spaces like ducts and most suspended ceilings.

What other kind of cables are you wanting to run?

tech-home said:
Plenum jacketed cables are used in plenum spaces like ducts and most suspended ceilings.

What other kind of cables are you wanting to run?
It's already in place. I have rg6, cat5, 18/4 sitting on the airduct. I just want to know if it's bad. The only plenum is the 18/4.

I doubt the top of the ductwork (even if it's not insulated) would get hot enough to do damage to the wires . . . the air temp may go as high as ~150"F in the duct . . . but many attics get even hotter . . . and I haven't heard of any body with issues when wires are run it the attic space . . .

I would suggest insulating the ductwork (if it's not) . . . for energy savings . . .

Pete C

ps. plenum rated wire is really about smoke developed when the insulation burns . . . how much smoke and how toxic it is if breathed . . .

pete said:
I doubt the top of the ductwork (even if it's not insulated) would get hot enough to do damage to the wires . . . the air temp may go as high as ~150"F in the duct . . . but many attics get even hotter . . . and I haven't heard of any body with issues when wires are run it the attic space . . .

I would suggest insulating the ductwork (if it's not) . . . for energy savings . . .

Pete C

ps. plenum rated wire is really about smoke developed when the insulation burns . . . how much smoke and how toxic it is if breathed . . .
I'm feeling better now. Thanks. :)

Long term, the jacket on the wires may dry out and become brittle. A little insulation would be worthwhile if you can fit it in.

upstatemike said:
Long term, the jacket on the wires may dry out and become brittle. A little insulation would be worthwhile if you can fit it in.
I'll try to find a way to not let the cable touch the airduct. I'll do it once I move in.

Back