Help with ActiveWebcam and 878A DVR card

Warez

I purchased a 8Ch 240 fps DVR card off eBay last week. I'm having nothing but problems getting it to work. I was hoping someone here might be offer some suggestions on what to try next.

Here's a picture of the card:
DVRCard1.jpg

Initially, I had planned on using the BtWinCap drivers and ActiveWebcam. However, I couldn't get it working. Here are the details:
The PC is a 3.2G Gateway with 512MB and integrated video.
I installed WindowsXP Pro(w/SP2), rebooted and plugged in the card. I cancelled through all the "New Hardware Found" messages, ran the BTSpy app, then ran the BtInstaller app and selected the "remove drivers" option. After rebooting, I again ran the BtInstaller app, this time choosing to install the drivers. After completion, I rebooted.
In Device Manager, I saw the 8 entries for Conexant video capture. I ran the amcap app, but didn't see any video. I then ran ActiveWebcam and selected the option for opening all capture cards. Again, I saw no video whatsoever.

Frustrated, I decided to check out the software in the CD-R that was included with the card. I installed the Kodicom drivers and the DigiNet application. First, I got a message about a problem with DirectDraw4. Then when I got to the main viewing screen, there again was no video.
After a Google search, I found someone posting a similar problem. He said he could see video in the 'motion detection' setup screen. I tried it and sure enough, I could see the video coming from the camera. I believe the problem with at least this application deals with not having an ATI video card... a requirement of the application itself.

So there it is. I know it works because I can see at least some video during the setup screen of a different app. But why can't I get BtWinCap/ActiveWebcam to work?

Any ideas?

Thanks...

I have an ATI. Feel free to send it to me if you want me to try it for you. I bought a video card like this off ebay but it was only 4 chan. You got much further then I did. My PC totally rejected the PCI card. If you can figure out who the manufacture or distributor is I would contact them and see if they can help. My problem was there was no indication of who made my card. I was told that people pirate the designs of expensive cards and sell them with no name on ebay to avoid law suits. So you are doing much better than I am.

*Note to self: Buy expensive video cards from a local store.

Warez said:
I then ran ActiveWebcam and selected the option for opening all capture cards. Again, I saw no video whatsoever.

But why can't I get BtWinCap/ActiveWebcam to work?
When you chose the AWC option to open all capture cards, did you get 32 camera screens open? That how I finally found the right settings to use for mine. Each port had 4 sub choices that were not obvious.

jeffx said:
...what video card, motherboard chipset and processor are you using? The Kodicom software prefers an ATI video card, Intel processor (I am using with an AMD) and a non-VIA motherboard chipset
Video Card = onboard(integrated) Intel Graphics Media Accel. 900
Chipset = Intel 915G
Processor = Intel P4 - 3.2Ghz

I know the Kodicom software requires the ATI vid card, but I was hoping to use BtWindCap drivers and ActiveWebcam instead... (If I can't get it to work though, I may just have to go out and buy an ATI vid card.)

WayneW said:
When you chose the AWC option to open all capture cards, did you get 32 camera screens open? That how I finally found the right settings to use for mine. Each port had 4 sub choices that were not obvious.
I only got 8 screens. I'll work with it some more to see if I can find these 4 subchannels. Any tips on how to get the 32 to open instead of just the 8 ?

Thanks...

What directx version does your integrated video support? That may be your direct-draw issue. I think you need a directx 7 or higher capable card.

One other thing to consider, the BtWinCap/WDM drivers will hammer your CPU--expect 30-90% utilization, and you will not be able to get anywhere near 240 fps. If you can get the Kodicom drivers and software to work, you will get the full 240 fps with almost no CPU utilization. I am running 5 cameras with the Kodicom software, all at 30 FPS, 640x480, highest quality setting, viewing and recording 24x7. CPU stays under 10%.

Getting a true 30 FPS makes for great slow-motion playback.

Warez said:
WayneW said:
I only got 8 screens. I'll work with it some more to see if I can find these 4 subchannels. Any tips on how to get the 32 to open instead of just the 8 ?
I think it was "Open All Video Capture Channels" then it goes to work for a few minutes searching, there was nothing else to configure (other than deleting the un-needed cameras). disclaimer: my card is slightly different than yours, but pretty similar.

I think I bought the exact same capture card on ebay. It worked fine for me using the btwincap drivers, an ATI radeon 7000 series video card, and active webcam.

so jeffx, how do you like that kodicom software? Is it comparable to the Active webcam? I didn't even give it a try. The blueiris software is great for motion detection. Much better than the active webcam. but you're right about the cpu utilization being really high. (pentium 4, 2.8 ghz, with 512 MB Ram). I don't use it for 24/7 recording, just for recording when motion is detected. I only have 4 cameras hooked up so farat 320x240 resolution, and I am not sure if I will be able to hook up 4 more.

if it turns out that you need an ATI card (I wouldn't think you would!) ask around to your gamer friends for an old ATI card...mine is very low end and it has not been a problem. I got it free from a friend that upgraded years ago.

I definitely would love to see some screenshots of the Kodicom software, espcially the preferences/motion detection dialog boxes.

Back