Help with connecting phone to alarm (Elk)

swales

Hey guys

I'm having some trouble getting my phone connected to my alarm (Elk) and was wondering if someone could hopefully help me out. First off, my phone connection is with my local Cable Company and it uses the cable connection (not internet) so does that mean I don't need to use a DSL filter? Here's how I currently have it all connected:

I have the the red & green wires from the phone company connected to the red & green terminals in the RJ31X.

Then I have a wire from both the yellow & black terminals in the RJ31X to the red & green terminals where the phone was originally connected (I think it's called a RJ11 junction box or something).

Now if I leave it like this my phones work.

I then have a cat5 wire from my Elk alarm panel run to where the RJ31X box is and have 4 wires crimped to the Red, Green , Brown & Grey wires of the 3 foot modular plug cable coming from the RJ31X. Now if I plug the modular cable into the RJ31X all the lights on my telephone modem start to flash, my phone says No Line and the Elk has the red seized phone line light on. If I unplug the modular cable, the phones work again.

Can anyone help me out and tell me what I've done wrong?

Thanks

Hey guys

I'm having some trouble getting my phone connected to my alarm (Elk) and was wondering if someone could hopefully help me out. First off, my phone connection is with my local Cable Company and it uses the cable connection (not internet) so does that mean I don't need to use a DSL filter? Here's how I currently have it all connected:

I have the the red & green wires from the phone company connected to the red & green terminals in the RJ31X.

Then I have a wire from both the yellow & black terminals in the RJ31X to the red & green terminals where the phone was originally connected (I think it's called a RJ11 junction box or something).

Now if I leave it like this my phones work.

I then have a cat5 wire from my Elk alarm panel run to where the RJ31X box is and have 4 wires crimped to the Red, Green , Brown & Grey wires of the 3 foot modular plug cable coming from the RJ31X. Now if I plug the modular cable into the RJ31X all the lights on my telephone modem start to flash, my phone says No Line and the Elk has the red seized phone line light on. If I unplug the modular cable, the phones work again.

Can anyone help me out and tell me what I've done wrong?

Thanks

Assuming that you have triple checked your wiring to make sure the wires from the 31X are connected to the right ELK m1 terminals, it is likely that the M1 is not getting a proper phone signal. The TELCO-SEIZED light constantly on indicates a bad phone connection.

Can you plug a regular phone(bought from walmart, etc) into the phone jacks in your house or do you need an adapter/modem? The ELK M1 is designed to interface with a standard tip/ring phone interface(like the phone company provides), not the hybrid interface used by a lot of data providers for VOIP phones. Simple way to test if you need more hardware, try plugging a standard telephone into the RJ31X. It will only use the 2 center-most connector pins, which should be connected to your ring/tip from the telephone company interface. If the phone works, the M1 is getting a phone line. If it doesn't you'll need to troubleshoot your lines or purchase the hardware necessary to have a standard telephone interface for the M1.

Back