Home Energy Monitoring TED 5000

briankelly63

fyi....

http://www.theenergydetective.com/ted-5000-overview.html

"The next generation in home energy monitoring, the TED 5000 Series provides all the benefits of the TED 1000 series along with a new look and improved functionality. Featuring a sleek handheld display unit and the brand new Gateway component, the TED 5000 system provides all the information any energy-conscious homeowner can dream of with added accessibility and feedback!"

That's a slick looking device, but designed more for the average homeowner who isn't into home automation IMHO.

I really like the approach brultech took with their latest version which even did away with the display LED completely. If you are going to integrate it into an existing home automation system, then all this extra "bling" is better left off.

That being said, it's nice to see more of these devices come to the market place in general. The TED unit is certainly aimed at the techno crowd with the iPod /iPod dock lookalike.

That's a slick looking device, but designed more for the average homeowner who isn't into home automation IMHO.

I really like the approach brultech took with their latest version which even did away with the display LED completely. If you are going to integrate it into an existing home automation system, then all this extra "bling" is better left off.

That being said, it's nice to see more of these devices come to the market place in general. The TED unit is certainly aimed at the techno crowd with the iPod /iPod dock lookalike.

as part of the techno crowd, I got me one of these..The part I like and why I passed on brultech with its greater capacities is that I don't need PC up and running 24/7. The display is handy when I am away from pc, and device stores data for d/l to pc at any time I want. Overall I rate it almost excellent, only improvement I would make is ability to monitor mult. circuits

i have the old serial version but i am curious what is so different about this from the 1000 other than looks...footprints looks the same as it always has been. there are already tons of metrics to pull from it.

i have the old serial version but i am curious what is so different about this from the 1000 other than looks...footprints looks the same as it always has been. there are already tons of metrics to pull from it.

This unit is broken up into three parts: the MTU, the gateway, and the optional display. The MTU is connected to the current transformers to monitor and report power usage. It sends its data over the powerline to the gateway. The gateway collects and stores usage information. It has an Ethernet jack to make the information available to web browsers, or it can use Zigbee to communicate with the optional display unit.

I bought one and liked the way it functioned, but with it active, my Insteon devices became completely erratic. TED tried to help, but we couldn't resolve things and I had to return it. If anyone happens to use one with Insteon and everything worked OK, I'd actually be curious to hear back.

I now hope to move to an ECM-1240, although getting information from Brultech has been really maddening.

Chris

This unit is broken up into three parts: the MTU, the gateway, and the optional display. The MTU is connected to the current transformers to monitor and report power usage. It sends its data over the powerline to the gateway. The gateway collects and stores usage information. It has an Ethernet jack to make the information available to web browsers, or it can use Zigbee to communicate with the optional display unit.

I bought one and liked the way it functioned, but with it active, my Insteon devices became completely erratic. TED tried to help, but we couldn't resolve things and I had to return it. If anyone happens to use one with Insteon and everything worked OK, I'd actually be curious to hear back.

I now hope to move to an ECM-1240, although getting information from Brultech has been really maddening.

Chris
You had a 5000 or the 1000? The 5000 are not released yet to the general public.

You had a 5000 or the 1000? The 5000 are not released yet to the general public.

I had a 5000. The web site says coming soon, but when I called on 6/29, they had them in stock and sent me one that I received on 7/2. If my Insteon devices hadn't freaked out while it was operating, it would still be here.

Chris

ishmael everything you just listed is the same across all models. i am trying to find out what is different. the only thing that sounds different is that the gateway and lcd are broken apart now. they have had the ethernet version for some time now i believe but there is no direct api protocol for it like the serial model. i am curious if this has changed really...in other words i don't want to have to run footprints (or any other pc software) to get data from it.

i called today to the manufacturer and ordered a ted 5000 he said they were available in limited quantites and i mine will arrive on wednesday.

ishmael everything you just listed is the same across all models. i am trying to find out what is different. the only thing that sounds different is that the gateway and lcd are broken apart now. they have had the ethernet version for some time now i believe but there is no direct api protocol for it like the serial model. i am curious if this has changed really...in other words i don't want to have to run footprints (or any other pc software) to get data from it.

With the 5000, the gateway was a small network appliance that came with a version of Footprints. To connect, you just pointed your web browser at it, which brought up a web interface to configure costing and to view live or historic data. It stored data at various level of granularity, and provided an option to download the data to your local system as a CSV file. My impression is that the 1000 required a dedicated PC and optional Footprints software to do this, but nothing of the sort was required for the 5000.

You can also just retrieve the data directly from the gateway by sending the right URL and collecting the data it spits back. The collected data came back in CSV, and live data was fed back as an XML document that included both current and historic data. You can see an example of what the live data look like at http://www.theenergydetective.com/media/5000LiveData.xml

Chris

So these new units still wreak havoc on powerline traffic like Insteon and X10? This was supposed to be one of the fixes in the new unit.

So these new units still wreak havoc on powerline traffic like Insteon and X10? This was supposed to be one of the fixes in the new unit.

Should be ok with Zwave and UPB as they are less prone to interference. I use a TED with UPB and it works fine.

I just got a ted 5000. My insteon seems to be unaffected so far, but i am still testing. As far as footprints goes, does anyone know how to display the web data to the public without showing the admin toolbar? I want to make it publicly accessible, but i dont want people to be able to change things. I didnt see a place for a password.

I just got a ted 5000. My insteon seems to be unaffected so far, but i am still testing. As far as footprints goes, does anyone know how to display the web data to the public without showing the admin toolbar? I want to make it publicly accessible, but i dont want people to be able to change things. I didnt see a place for a password.

Reverse proxy through apache and put in a filter for the admin page. Link will still show, but no one will be able to get to it.

Back