Home Energy Monitoring TED 5000

Can you please elaborate on this? is ted running apache? How would i configure a reverse proxy

I have no idea what TED is running. If it's running Linux or some other form of Unix, it may very well be serving up pages with Apache. In which case you would just put in an Allow filter for the admin page from your local private network, and then deny all others. That is assuming you can even get into the unit on the command line.

Otherwise, you can install apache on another computer (windows, linux, mac already has it installed, etc). And then expose apache on that other computer to the net, instead of exposing the TED box.

Here's the documentation on it and examples of how to set it up:

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/mod/mod_proxy.html

If you need to you should be able to isolate the mtu and the gateway to their own circuit and use an x10 type interference filter, ahead of that branch you created, to prevent the mtu from sending any PLC out to the rest of your house...

Brian

Good news. Just talked with ted support and they advised that they are currently in development of a new update to allow a username/password solution and it will be released as a free update sometime soon.

I just got a ted 5000. My insteon seems to be unaffected so far, but i am still testing.
I still have a lot of X10 stuff in my system, and have no desire to replace it (It works without issue, and I use Z-Wave only for things that can't get X10 signals becuase they're behind a surge protector or UPS). I've been interested in the TED for some time, but the X10 inteference has kept me away. Anyone try a 5000 with X10 yet?

I still have a lot of X10 stuff in my system, and have no desire to replace it (It works without issue, and I use Z-Wave only for things that can't get X10 signals becuase they're behind a surge protector or UPS). I've been interested in the TED for some time, but the X10 inteference has kept me away. Anyone try a 5000 with X10 yet?

I bought a TED 5000 several weeks ago and had serious issues with X10 units that have been running rock solid for years. Since ALL of my lighting is automated using a custom-built single board controller, I didn't want to ditch X10 and ended up isolating the TED MTU and Gateway on a separate circuit though an X10 noise filter. (BKLLC must have read my mind in his earlier post ;) )

This completely solved the problem and TED has been happily coexisting with my extensive X10 installation ever since. However, this is not a trivial fix since you need to locate your router or PC very near the breaker box, where the MTU and Gateway must be located. I have access to the REAR of my breaker box where the HA computer and SBC are running, so it worked for me.

The Footprints software is very cool.

The firmware update for ted 5000 is out. It offers Google Powermeter and has password access control for the interface :)
Just activated powermeter, takes about 15 minutes to get the data refreshed.

If anyone w/ a TED talking to powermeter would tcpdump the communications with Google, I'm awfully interested in how it uploads the data.

I don't see why other monitors such as the Brultech ECM-1240 shouldn't also be able to upload using the same API; not sure why Google doesn't just open that up rather than working behind the scenes w/ individual meter companies; it serializes the whole process.

But I'm wondering how hard it might be for other meters to just "fake it" :)

I would also be interested in this. If it's SSL though, you'll have to do a bit extra to see the unencrypted stuff. Lemme know if you want help if this is the case.

Hi folks,

I have a pretty large Insteon setup and just installed a TED 5000 yesterday. So far, no problems with my Insteon network. I use Powerhome as well, and have monitored communication and so far no issues.

The only issue I seem to have is limited range between the MTU and gateway. It seemed to work in some places, some were a bit spotty. Obviously you need a network hookup too, so that kind of limits things.

My biggest potential complaint: AFAIK, the MTU streams data every second and if the gateway misses it, the data is lost. The Gateway itself stores aggregated data (minutes/hour/day type of thing) so that's useful. But the connection then between Gateway and MTU is critical.

I'm not sure if the weak connection is due to Insteon or something else ... but I might try moving it to another circuit to see if that helps at all.

I bought a TED 5000 several weeks ago and had serious issues with X10 units that have been running rock solid for years. Since ALL of my lighting is automated using a custom-built single board controller, I didn't want to ditch X10 and ended up isolating the TED MTU and Gateway on a separate circuit though an X10 noise filter. (BKLLC must have read my mind in his earlier post ;) )

This completely solved the problem and TED has been happily coexisting with my extensive X10 installation ever since. However, this is not a trivial fix since you need to locate your router or PC very near the breaker box, where the MTU and Gateway must be located. I have access to the REAR of my breaker box where the HA computer and SBC are running, so it worked for me.

The Footprints software is very cool.

Would you be willing to sketch out how you hooked up the two-pole MTU and Gateway with an X10 filter? I've got some ideas, but none seem kosher as far as most electrical codes go. I've got X10 lights turning on spontaneously since hooking up my TED 5000

Thanks!

if you go to the TED messageboards people hooked up 2 x-10 filters and are now using TED with out issue. I bought the filters about $5 ea I ahve not put them in yet. I wouldn't use TED with out them though it will affect the x-10 a little, all my switches blink.

Back