Homelink control of UPB lighting

db-us

I am looking for a way to control UPB lighting from a Homelink wireless cocntrol in a Ford Expedition. Previously, when I was using X10 I was able to use a Homelink to X10 interface for the wireless control. I have not been able to find a Homelink to UPB interface. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Davin

Thanks for reposting this question, I know for a fact this one went MIA, sorry about that!

Do you have any type of home automation controller in place (software or hardware)?

I know this is probably not the best solution, but since you already had the X10 system in place, couldn't you just insert an X10-to-UPB bridge into the chain?

also, in the Homelink shop there is a Garage Door Opener Universal Receiver Kit. There are no technical details on it, but if there is a contact closure associated with it, you could hook into a UPB I/O module.

Do you know of a device that converts X10-PLC signals to UPB ? I was thinking the same way (which is why I asked if he had a controller already), but I didn't know if there such a converter out there already.

Yea, the Elk M1 would definitely be a good solution, that's how I do it. But I couldn't tell if he is part of the antler club ;)

electron said:
"Yea, the Elk M1 would definitely be a good solution, that's how I do it. But I couldn't tell if he is part of the antler club ;)"
I am not a member of the antler club yet but maybe in the future. There is currently a standalone alarm system from Moose and the X10 system was just switch controlled. It did not have a central controller. I have not decided yet wether I should add a PC to the system for the controller or use something like the ELK. I need to do a little more research and experimentation.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look at the X10 to UPB bridges and see if I can get one of them to work. I'll start another thread on controller recommendations.

Thanks

I believe you have to buy a special receiver in order for the HomeLink buttons to be X10 compatible, but it has been a long time since I researched this, so if I am wrong, someone please correct me. I am curious myself as to what protocol the RF signal is.

electron said:
I believe you have to buy a special receiver in order for the HomeLink buttons to be X10 compatible, but it has been a long time since I researched this, so if I am wrong, someone please correct me. I am curious myself as to what protocol the RF signal is.
Many Homelink related questions are answered at www.homelink.com/home/faq.tml

The RF is proprietary, operating between 288 and 399 MHz and up to 418MHz with some exceptions having to do with frequencies used by the military or emergency services (I think).

Pretty much every vehicle manufacturer has selected a different operating frequency.

Most of the bridges seem to be Homelink <-> X10. Lutron also has some compatible devices including RadioRA. My understanding is that Wayne-Dalton/Intermatic is also producing some sort of HL<->Z-Wave bridge.

I think the actual Homelink protocol is owned by Johnson Controls although I'm prepared to be wrong about that.

And as a final note, this is from our most recent newsletter:

Wireless interference is not only an issue between devices in unregulated spectrum

Last week there was a quiet report of some 300 homes in Colorado Springs whose garage door openers stopped functioning one weekend all at the same time. No one is 'fessing up to interfering with the 390 MHz garage door openers, but the cause is a foregone conclusion. No, it was not little green men, but the Department of Defense using their Land Mobile Radio system, designed to ensure military and civilian public service or first responder communication. The military is mute, placing the responsibility on the garage door manufacturers, and the garage door manufacturers are pointing to the Land Mobile Radios as the cause. The result is that 300 garage doors could not be opened without assistance from the local service company...

George West
www.wtrs.net

P.S. If anyone wants the entire article or newsletter, drop me a note. Due to the length I didn't want to post the entire thing here.

Back