Homeseer Plus Ocelot

upstatemike

I was wondering what is involved when using an Ocelot with Homeseer? According to the Homeseer docs, Applied Digital devices show up automatically when attached to Homeseer... Does this mean you never need to run the CMax application for configuration? What about when you add an additional SECU16I or a Bobcat device?

I use the ADIOcelot plugin written by Michael McSharry and not HomeSeer's plugin. I also am still using HomeSeer 1.7.43 so I have no idea how the newer versions work in terms of reliability and stability.

But, given that I have been using this setup for many years and it has been rock solid for me (thus my reluctance to change).

I use the Ocelot for digital inputs and outputs as well as conditional timers and logic for those devices and X-10 devices.

The way I do this is setup my X-10 devices and add-on modules (SECU16I and RLY8) in the Ocelot using CMax. I also program the Ocelot in CMax to do the many functions listed HERE.

I then go to the setup of the mcsPlugin and select the input/output add-on modules as well as any "variables" that I created in the CMax coding process (mainly flags to tell me a "condition's" state).

Then the HomeSeer devices for the add-on modules and variables are automatically created (as shown in the screen shot). I manually create the X-10 devices.

There is an option to synchronize all of this automatically (as shown in the screen shot below) but I have never used it as I prefer a manual method so I know exactly what is going on between HS and the Ocelot.

I really like the CMax code, especially its use of timers.

(Click on Picture for Full Sized Image)
ADIOcelot Setup Screen Shot

ADIOcelot HomeSeer Devices

Here is an example of using CMax to look for an "armed away" signal from my Caddx security panel, wait a period of time, and if the garage door is still open, chirp the siren and flash the lights in the garage, then close the garage door.

Note that some commands are repeated to make sure they are implemented, but I found this is unnecessary.

0332 - IF Module #1 -SECU16-I Armed_Away Turns OFF // When System Armed in AWAY Mode
0333 - THEN Garage_Away = 1 // Start Garage Away Timer
0334 - IF Garage_Away becomes = 300 // After Five Minutes
0335 - AND Module #1 -SECU16-I Garage_Door Is OFF // and Garage Door Open
0336 - AND Module #1 -SECU16-I Armed_Away Is OFF // and Armed in Away Mode
0337 - THEN Garage, Turn ON // Then Turn On Garage Lights (30 sec Warning)
0338 - THEN Module #2 -RELAY-08 Garage_Siren Turn ON // Then Turn On Garage Siren (30 sec Warning)
0339 - IF Garage_Away becomes = 301 // After One Second
0340 - THEN Module #2 -RELAY-08 Garage_Siren Turn OFF // Turn OFF Garage Siren
0341 - THEN Module #2 -RELAY-08 Garage_Siren Turn OFF // Turn OFF Garage Siren
0342 - IF Garage_Away becomes = 303 // After Three Seconds
0343 - THEN Garage, Turn OFF // Then Turn Off Garage Lights
0344 - IF Garage_Away becomes = 305 // After Two Seconds
0345 - THEN Garage, Turn ON // Then Turn On Garage Lights
0346 - IF Garage_Away becomes = 335 // Thirty Seconds After Warning
0347 - AND Module #1 -SECU16-I Garage_Door Is OFF // and Garage Door Open
0348 - AND Module #1 -SECU16-I Armed_Away Is OFF // and Armed in Away Mode
0349 - THEN Module #2 -RELAY-08 Garage_Remote Turn ON // Close Garage Door by Pressing Remote Button
0350 - IF Garage_Away becomes = 337 // Open Remote Button After Two Seconds
0351 - THEN Module #2 -RELAY-08 Garage_Remote Turn OFF //
0352 - THEN Module #2 -RELAY-08 Garage_Remote Turn OFF //
0353 - IF Garage_Away becomes = 355 // After 18 Seconds
0354 - AND Module #1 -SECU16-I Garage_Door Is OFF // and Garage Door is Still Open
0355 - AND Module #1 -SECU16-I Armed_Away Is OFF // and Armed in Away Mode
0356 - THEN Module #2 -RELAY-08 Garage_Remote Turn ON // Close Garage Door by Pressing Remote Button
0357 - IF Garage_Away becomes = 357 // Open Remote Button After Two Seconds
0358 - THEN Module #2 -RELAY-08 Garage_Remote Turn OFF //
0359 - THEN Module #2 -RELAY-08 Garage_Remote Turn OFF //
0360 - IF Garage_Away becomes = 365 // Reset parameters
0361 - THEN Module #2 -RELAY-08 Garage_Remote Turn OFF //
0362 - THEN Module #2 -RELAY-08 Garage_Remote Turn OFF //
0363 - THEN Garage_Away = 0 // End of Garage Auto Close Program Exit Mode

Here is an even better use for the CMax timer function. For my car monitors I generate an X-10 (I-15) ON command when the vehicle is running and an OFF command when the vehicle is turned OFF. The ON command gets repeated every three seconds.

I use the timer function in the Ocelot as an "occupancy" indicator. It will then set an variable that is sent to HomeSeer. Notice how the timer keeps getting "reset" every time an "ON" is received. Until the timer is let to timeout at 60 seconds does the Ocelot say the vehicle is in away mode.

This has worked flawlessly and will even be accurate if you are moving your vehicle (while trying to get the lawn mower out of the garage for example) for short periods of time.

0391 - IF X-10 House I / Unit 15, ON Command Pair //
0392 - THEN RamchargerTimer = 1 //
0393 - IF X-10 House I / Unit 15, OFF Command Pair //
0394 - THEN RamchargerTimer = 0 //
0395 - THEN RamchargerOccupancy = 1 //
0396 - IF RamchargerTimer becomes = 60 //
0397 - AND X-10 House I / Unit 15, Is ON //
0398 - THEN RamchargerOccupancy = 0 //
0399 - THEN RamchargerTimer = 0 //

Thanks BSR,

I know a lot of folks split funtionality between HS and an Ocelot but I was wondering if it could work as plug and play inputs to a HS system without needing to learn the C-Max program.

I want to avoid hobby board inputs like Carl's or Vellman (they don't scale very well) and I don't want to use a security panel for inputs because I want to keep that separate. I was just wondering how to interpret what I read on the Homeseer site about Applied Digital stuff being recognized automatically.

IF you just want the digital I/O capabilities, the ADIOcelot plugin will automatically create the HomeSeer devices for you.

You only will need to know enough about the CMax setup to get the modules recognized with the Ocelot. I did this years ago and can't remember the details, though I remember it being pretty simple.

Maybe browse the ADI site for their manuals.

You don't have to know any of the CMax "ladder logic" capabilities if that is all you want. :(

For someone already familiar with JDS programming, C-Max would be quite easy to learn. To not use it would be missing out on a sizable feature of the Ocelot: highly reliable control of many critical home automation functions.

UpstateMike,

I use an Ocelot attached to my HS computer running 2.1.104, and it was very easy to set up. At this point, I'm really just running my X10 through it for a thermostat and the few remaining X10 lights I have (I've gone largely Insteon, as I believe you have as well). It also controls my IR and does an excellent job of this.

As with BSR, it's been so long since I set up the Ocelot that I've largely forgotten how I went about doing it, but also recall that it was very easy and required only a few minutes. I've dabbled with CMAX and found it simple to use (largely due to Guy's help), but have never really programmed with it.

At one point, I was using a SECU-16I to monitor some alarm panel inputs via the Ocelot, but then I converted over to the Elk M1G and haven't used the 16-I since then. Overall, though, I think you'll find the Ocelot to be rock solid reliable with HS 2.1 and easy to set up and maintain.

Joe

Thanks for all the replies regarding C-Max. I'm sure I could master it if I needed to but my real point was to try to identify the best interface for digital inputs when using a Homeseer Pro-100 controller. I am working on possible solutions for a particular application and it is going to require the "one brain" architecture I mentioned in another thread. I was wondering if a Pro-100 plus Ocelot would work assuming I did not need to configure anything in C-Max. Unfortunately hardware that needs expansion modules to be "enrolled" using software outside of the main automation application, will not work for this.

If you get your hands on a PRO-100 controller, please let me know (send me a PM or get a hold of me online). Thanks!

electron said:
If you get your hands on a PRO-100 controller, please let me know (send me a PM or get a hold of me online). Thanks!
Will do, but I don't think I am likely to go that route.

Back