Horizontal orientated PIR sensor

Noelep50

My googling has let me down on this one. The motion sensors in our home (c. 1988) are recessed into what look to be standard sized 1 gang openings - but are orientated horizontally.

i havent been able to find any suitable replacements for these that will fit in the same openings; everything seems to be either vertical or surface mounted?

Pictures of the sensor in place, and the faceplate attached.

Any help appreciated - FWIW these are connected to an Elk M1 Gold.

Attachments

• 5D583CCE-60A5-426C-864F-3F9813B0A041.jpeg
    5D583CCE-60A5-426C-864F-3F9813B0A041.jpeg
    145.3 KB · Views: 4
I have not seen those.  In the 1980's in my parents home they had large in wall PIRs with shades on them to hide them.

Just use a blank faceplate and carefully mount  a PIR on it vertically and drill a small hole in it to pass the wires.

Or if the box under the PIR is just surface mounted and you have some touch up paint put a piece of dry wall in the removed surface mounted box with a small hole in it to pass the wires.  Once dry you can just mount the PIR to the repaired wall.  It will look nicer this way.

Noelep50 said:
Thanks for the feedback. They do work fine - it’s the yellowed plastic that is the problem. Maybe I can carefully mask and spray them white...

Patching and surface mounting would be last resort - having them recessed is nice and clean.

I have now found this

https://www.alldataresource.com/Visonic-MR-4000-Flush-Mount-PIR-Motion-Sensor-_p_101378.html

Looks like it might be able to mount horizontally but no way to know without just buying one...

The Visonic MR4000 has to be mounted vertically.  There is a MR4000R for horizontal mounting.

Visonic stuff is difficult to find these days.  A quick google search doesn't turn up anyone selling the MR4000R.

Back