How about Elk? Alarm system + Security Camera + Home Automation

I am actually looking into DVR solution to mix with my M1 now. I found a software package (the name escapes me now) that using the parallel port you can control the record feature...The best part it works with Ethernet (IP) cameras.. their documentation says to apply 5 volts to pins X and Y of the parallel port to set camera Z in arm mode (which then uses motion to start recordings). I have not yet gotten the circuit together but I was thinking of a simple voltage divider on a few elk outputs (these are 10 volts right?) and then trigger the parallel port pins when in arm mode.

I am actually looking into DVR solution to mix with my M1 now. I found a software package (the name escapes me now) that using the parallel port you can control the record feature...The best part it works with Ethernet (IP) cameras.. their documentation says to apply 5 volts to pins X and Y of the parallel port to set camera Z in arm mode (which then uses motion to start recordings). I have not yet gotten the circuit together but I was thinking of a simple voltage divider on a few elk outputs (these are 10 volts right?) and then trigger the parallel port pins when in arm mode.

They have an output expander,
http://www.elkproducts.com/pdf/M1XOV_Output_Expander.pdf
which probably is the same as the main panel. It is spec'd at 12V, 50 mA positive drive (probably meaning it won't pull current from a positive-connected load). There are no specs on the voltage tolerance, but if it runs from the battery, it probalby can get close to 14 volts. Resistors are OK, but I would probably use a series resistor from the panel to a Zener diode to ground (connect the PC input signal to the resistor-zener junction). I believe the parallel port inputs are at TTL levels (recommended drive 2.4V to 5V high, 0V to 0.4V low). I would bet that a few mA would drive it, perhaps a 2k series resistor. Digikey has stock on a 3.3V part (3.1V to 3.5V) with a Zener current of 5 mA. The right resistor would be around 1.5k, assuming a little load current from the PC.
http://www.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dk...MAZ80330HLCT-ND
Put the components on the PC end for better noise immunity.

They have an output expander,
http://www.elkproducts.com/pdf/M1XOV_Output_Expander.pdf
which probably is the same as the main panel. It is spec'd at 12V, 50 mA positive drive (probably meaning it won't pull current from a positive-connected load). There are no specs on the voltage tolerance, but if it runs from the battery, it probalby can get close to 14 volts. Resistors are OK, but I would probably use a series resistor from the panel to a Zener diode to ground (connect the PC input signal to the resistor-zener junction). I believe the parallel port inputs are at TTL levels (recommended drive 2.4V to 5V high, 0V to 0.4V low). I would bet that a few mA would drive it, perhaps a 2k series resistor. Digikey has stock on a 3.3V part (3.1V to 3.5V) with a Zener current of 5 mA. The right resistor would be around 1.5k, assuming a little load current from the PC.
http://www.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dk...MAZ80330HLCT-ND
Put the components on the PC end for better noise immunity.

p.s. The output of the panel may 'leak' current in the off state, so you could parallel the Zener with 100k or so.

After looking at various panels, it seems the Elk M1Gold may be a good choice, but I can find no information on their website about the home automation capabilites, other than a few examples. Does anybody know what the syntax of their 'Rules' is? It looks like the words in capitals are keywords, but I don't have a clue as to the syntax of the language, or if they support flags ('remembered' conditions which can later be used in a trigger). They seem to be pretty proud of it, though... It does support X-10, but I can't figure out how (or if) the X-10 commands are mapped to Zones or Outputs (relays). The Elk seems to have analog inputs, so maybe it can handle Dim levels (we're talking variables here), does anybody know where I can find out about this? This panel has me so excited... Also, can I use more than one type of home automation system at the same time, such as X-10 and Zwave?

I think, the ELK-M1 is realy a good choice. HAI Omni is also a possibility, but much more expensive.

At the ELK-M1 you can define the beheaviour of every input (NO, NC, w/wo EOL-resitor, analog etc), outputs the same way.
For controling X10 modules you need a ($20-cheap) interface, let's say a TW523 or equivalent. That's all.
The programm with which you are instruct your ELK-M1 is named ELK-RP and rather powerfull (or via the keypad)
The lionshare of the beheaviour of your ELK-system is done by "rules".
Yes, you can set flags, take any unused (dummy)outputs for this purpose.
"rules" are not written by yourself as a text, but composed by clicking to requesters. Editing rules too.
So you get automaticly the right syntax. No typing errors. You stay focussed to the logic construction of your problem.

So -for example- if you defined an output as a dimmable X10 module, ... dim-instructions are applicable,
if you defined the X10-output as a switch only, no instructions for dimming are possible and are not offered to click on.

So far a partly answer.

If you are looking to an animal which delivers you eggs and milk and wool and meat ... look for an ELK !

I asked why the Demo ELKRP was no longer on the website myself! :eek: I was told the Demo software was not up to date.

If you want a demo of ELKRP without a M1, call in to ELK technical and get a log in account to download the real ELKRP until we can get new demo software.

Sorry about the confusion!!

I got a version of the software to work, and that helps my understanding greatly! I do have some questions about interfacing to non-X10 devices, such as Z-wave (the Elk-M1XSP get progammed with 25.x.x to handle the Z-Wave module ELK-M1XZW, they probably communicate over RS-485). I probably won't need more than X10 and 'something else' anyway.

Once again, thanks for the help. I would never have been able to understand this panel otherwise. It looks like they put a great deal of thought into it, and came up with a good solution. If the conditional logic could only handle integers (dim levels and analog voltages and not just counters)... But I think it will work for what I need very well.

Now that that's settled, on with the video capture 'solution'.

I tried to get a login account just to browse any extra information that might be out there, but the Elk tecnical person I spoke to said I need to fill out a form on the website, and it requires a serial number from my control panel. It might be a few weeks until I have one of those. I think I am OK for now.

If you want maximum IO control, Geovision is the way to go. Nobody has more capability then they do in that specific area.

Back