How Can I Read Indoor Temperature (INSTEON)?

jtw

I am considering installing a very basic INSTEON system because of the amount of time I spend away from home. I would like to find an inexpensive way to figure out if my a/c and heat are working correctly. I know what my hi and lo temperature setpoints are on my thermostat, so if I can remotely see the indoor temperature on cold nights or hot days I could make a good guess that something may be broken. If I limit myself to using a SmartLinc, I'll have to spend about $150 to check this! My options look like either get an INSTEON adapter for my Venstar thermostat and an access point (for rf) OR getting the INSTEON hi/lo temperature kit and a dummy switch that I can read. Is there a cheaper way? Maybe I shouldn't be doing INSTEON.

The cheapest way I know of to monitor temp is to use a cai webcontrol for $40 and buy a one-wire temp sensor for a few more dollars. The temp will then be available on the internet or you can have the cai send you values via email. It does of course require an internet connection.

This can all be merged into an Insteon setup using an network enabled ISY, but it sounds like you really don't want a home automation setup. If all you want is remote temp, $45 for a cai and a one-wire sensor should do it.

I'm gonna beat Lou to the punch here and recomend a CAI Webcontrol board with an eBay 1wire temp sensor. If you just want to monitor, this setup will only cost about $40 if you have an existing wall wart that can be used to power the board, plus you can expand it later to monitor other things and even do some control.

Terry

Stupid slow typing on the iPhone, I missed it by two minutes!!! :)

The cheapest way I know of to monitor temp is to use a cai webcontrol for $40 and buy a one-wire temp sensor for a few more dollars. The temp will then be available on the internet or you can have the cai send you values via email. It does of course require an internet connection.

This can all be merged into an Insteon setup using an network enabled ISY, but it sounds like you really don't want a home automation setup. If all you want is remote temp, $45 for a cai and a one-wire sensor should do it.

Hey, thanks everyone! It'll take me a little while to digest these suggestions, since I'm so new to this. There WILL be internet at the house. I'm not looking to do alot of automation at this point. My complete grocery list is: 1) Remotely view indoor temperature (to deduce HVAC problems), 2) remotely view garden soil moisture, 3) remotely turn wall switch for outdoor light on and off (to protect tropicals from freezes), and 4) remotely toggle a switch that will open and close the common ground on the existing sprinkler controller. Doing these, along with shutting water off before I left will let me sleep better when I'm away.

Hey, thanks everyone! It'll take me a little while to digest these suggestions, since I'm so new to this. There WILL be internet at the house. I'm not looking to do alot of automation at this point. My complete grocery list is: 1) Remotely view indoor temperature (to deduce HVAC problems), 2) remotely view garden soil moisture, 3) remotely turn wall switch for outdoor light on and off (to protect tropicals from freezes), and 4) remotely toggle a switch that will open and close the common ground on the existing sprinkler controller. Doing these, along with shutting water off before I left will let me sleep better when I'm away.

The cai unit can do all of this stuff. Although the ground moisture thing will be challenge, but the cai has 3 analog inputs so if you can find something to stick in the ground that returns an analog value for moisture, the cai will read it.

Your other two requests are easily done by a cai by adding a couple relays for a few dollars more. Or you can add an x10 module to the cai and control 256 things. Though x10 is a little flaky.

Sorry Roussell, didn't mean to steal your glory! :blush:

Back