How many home run's to the ELK?

raymondh

I have 1 keypad and the wireless receiver connected directly to the M1. I have one more keypad to connect but I want to check to see if I can run 3 units directly off the M1. If I need to, I can wire a keypad and the wireless receiver in series at the m1 since I used cat-5 but I would rather not if I don't have to.

short answer - no, you cannot have 3 devices simply homerun.

long answer - you can have 3 devices if you wire them in a sort of daisy-chain home run method using 6 conductor (or more) wire. If you want to have more than 2 devices with simple/true homeruns, you need to used the DBHR. The M1 must have two terminators installed, one at each end of the wiring. If you use 3 homeruns, you have too many ends. Check the M1 manual section for terminations.

short answer - no, you cannot have 3 devices simply homerun.

long answer - you can have 3 devices if you wire them in a sort of daisy-chain home run method using 6 conductor (or more) wire. If you want to have more than 2 devices with simple/true homeruns, you need to used the DBHR. The M1 must have two terminators installed, one at each end of the wiring. If you use 3 homeruns, you have too many ends. Check the M1 manual section for terminations.

No may not be the right answer.

We have a profibus network (RS485) that you can have a stub off the main network. The M1 also uses a 485 network so it may be possible to get it going.

If it does work, there is no guarantee that the network will be rock solid. This sort of thing is good for testing and casual monitoring where you connect it for a short period of time. For a permanent solution, do it correctly.

Where is the wireless receiver. Why not take the cable from the new keypad to an existing keypad or the wireless receiver. You wont need a data bus hub then. Wiring in series is how the system works. The data bus hub just creates a series connection twice as long as a properly designed system. Wire them in series and be done with it - you will have the system connected correctly then.

Mick

Back