How many of you guys have SageTV and Girder, EventGhost or other with command line interface?

CollinR

How much interest is there in this.

This is 1 way, the MVPs can only send outbound commands. I use it for scene control only however you could get much more complex.

This is probably done wrong, half ass but it does work. You need automation software that will allow you to trigger events from the command line.

Basically all it does is allow you to control scenes from the MVP as another option of control.

You can have custom lighting menus per client so master bedroom doesn't wade through guest room controls and vise versa.

Any interest?

Collin, that sounds very interesting to me, but first I must educate myself on the products of which you speak. I also hope to learn that they will work with the On-Q HMS 1100. Will be disappointed if i find out I should be installing elk or hai instead!

If you can't actually paint the status via SageStudio, I'm not sure how much value it would have. If it's primarily lighting controls which don't need status painted since, well, you can see whether the lights are on, it would be an ok thing, but not really that big a wow.

I'd much rather stick with using an MX800 to control the MVP via CQC (assuming beelzerob gets that working), then using the MX800->MRF300->USBUIRT->CQC to do the scene control. That way I can centralize any non-SageTV control into a single app. But, if you weren't using something like CQC, then perhaps 1way would add value.

BTW, why only 1way? I see that HAL has a SageTV plugin so SageStudio is obviously capable of it, it just takes someone with the desire to learn how they did it :)

Collin, that sounds very interesting to me, but first I must educate myself on the products of which you speak. I also hope to learn that they will work with the On-Q HMS 1100. Will be disappointed if i find out I should be installing elk or hai instead!

The HMS 1100 is a hardware controller, it would depend on what Windows software comes with it.

SageTV is a Windows Media Center commercial competitor.
EventGhost is an open source automation software focusing on remote controls.
Girder is commercial automation software. I don't have it but I know it can take commands from the command line, this is something all automation software should do. I would assume all packages can do it although I don't know the commands for them.

If you can't actually paint the status via SageStudio, I'm not sure how much value it would have. If it's primarily lighting controls which don't need status painted since, well, you can see whether the lights are on, it would be an ok thing, but not really that big a wow.

I'd much rather stick with using an MX800 to control the MVP via CQC (assuming beelzerob gets that working), then using the MX800->MRF300->USBUIRT->CQC to do the scene control. That way I can centralize any non-SageTV control into a single app. But, if you weren't using something like CQC, then perhaps 1way would add value.

BTW, why only 1way? I see that HAL has a SageTV plugin so SageStudio is obviously capable of it, it just takes someone with the desire to learn how they did it :)

I'm not looking for a big wow, really with Girder locally it's painfully obvious what I am doing. My setup is slightly more complicated as SageTV and automation are not in the same box. Getting this going locally with Girder should be a no brainer. However interacting between the SageTVService and anything running as a local user in windows or an individual thin client MVP can be troublesome. This only does lighting and only lighting relevent to the room the MVP is located in, so yes status feedback really isn't needed. There are hard coded on and off buttons, you must decide which to use when.

If CQC has a command line interface then this would be a no brainer too. What you and Beelzerob are doing is much more complicated and powerful, this basically just means 1 remote no getting up from bed to turn the lights off, it's just another menu in SageTV. I want temp readouts and thermostat controls too, that will take much more work.

1 way because I have no 2 way devices. :) I basically have $150 in x10 crap, it has been working well though it is not desirable. This can be used with any control system that provides for command line requests, locally or over the net.

In time I would love to work more on this, Studio is very new and intimidating to me. Now that I know I can get the basics going looking to add new better functionality will come. I looked at the Hal plugin but I don't consider Hal very viable anymore, I would rather get CQC or Girder then pay $170 for software thats been run off and left.

Collin, thanks for the info. I ordered the installers access software and the alc branch tech. i am HOPING that it can do everything I want as well as have the ability to control other things, maybe homeseer or cqc or whatever else i decide i might need to interface. ihave alot to learn and am looking forward to it.

Back