[How-To] Control multiple winamp audio zones

You have PM...

hah, let me see if I still have it.

I never actually implemented this system. I was doing it more as a proof of concept to see if it'd work and it seemed to pretty well.

What can I say.... I am "el-cheapo" :p

WinAmp = Free
Old Computer = Free
A couple of Sound Cards = Free
Old Speakers = Free
Girder = Free
6 Stick-a-Switches = $20

Zoned Audio w/ control for pennies = Priceless ;)

GML file for girder is attached to this post.

Attachments

• Zoned_Winamp.zip
    5.7 KB · Views: 159
Thank you, Micah!

The batch files mentioned earlier are also in the zip.

Now, when can I replace the stick-switches with those RedRadio screens?
:)

Cheers

TT

Would this work with those cheapy usb imported soundcards you can get off Ebay? I'm just thinking it'd allow for many more zones without requiring a large mobo with many PCI slots...

wow, here's a bump from the past.

It should work with any soundcard, including USB ones BUT you have to make sure that each card uses a different chipset otherwise you run the risk of having the problem I had where windows tries using the same driver for every card and there's no way to differentiate which card is being used for which output.

I have tried two of these:
http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=HE-280B&cpc=SCH

I plan to put 8 Zones around the house. I have also setup some code in Homeseer and use similar setup that this article describes.

I use this for control of my Zones:
http://www.flippet.org/wacommand.html

I used the source and told it to look for Zone1...2...3...etc. as a class. Then I load Winamp as described.

Next I setup events to correspond to remotes around the house.

I plan to use my parallel port to drive some relays to allow the WHOLE house Zone to function. I haven't worked out the details of that yet.

I also, have a plugin for Winamp, which will write files to the HD, which I put HTML tags into the file. The file forces a refresh of the webpage every 5 seconds, and constantly displays the current status of winamp (playing, which song, stopped, etc.). This can be seen from all my Audrey terminals around the house.

I am still trying to figure out a way to get the Playlists to load. Probably will have to write a script that will generate a list of playlists. Then when you click the link to that playlist, Homeseer will have to reload that Zone's Winamp with the correct playlist.

I was thinking all playlists would be in one directory, then Homeseer can check that dir and create a webpage based on that information. Then the issue is how does homeseer know which link you clicked? DO I have it generate virtual devices? If that's the case, then the status message of the virtual device will be the name of the playlist, and when you click it on the webpage, the status goes high for that vrtual device, which creates a new event that runs to load that playlist...??

Then this can be ubiquitous (as it is over the intranet) to Audrey terminals, in the wall terminals, touchpanels, even your cellphone's wap, if you so choose (to choose the playlist you want and have it played in the Zone you are in, or the whole house).

Any ideas?

--Dan

this is cool stuff... very new here. Not sure if this is still up to date. ie is there media software out with this functionality now? xlobby etc seems to offer multi room audio etc.

also how can i d/l the zip file.

thanx

this is cool stuff... very new here. Not sure if this is still up to date. ie is there media software out with this functionality now? xlobby etc seems to offer multi room audio etc.

also how can i d/l the zip file.

thanx

I use Homeseer, but ended up writing custom code for it to do my zoning based on my above post.

I use those same USB sound cards, except I'm making a custom circuit to start the USB guys up in the correct order each time. For Zones I ended up handling that in software.webpage code.

--Dan

Sorry to bump an ancient thread, but I am trying to set up a somewhat similar configuration and was hoping this could work with Girder 5 and the current Winamp (5.57). I'm having trouble assigning the different class names to the different versions of Winamp. Also, I'm not seeing where to put the class information in the Girder 5.

Is there a way to check if I've done the Winamp class thing correctly? Is anyone out there using Girder 5 and able to help me?

Thanks for any help you can give,

Josh

Hi Josh,

I think you might have more luck posting this on the Promixis forums, not too many people here use Girder.

Just a note for anyone else wanting to do this, it seems that at some point, winamp started storing its configuration centrally in %appdata% folder. So copying the winamp folder does not work, as when you change the destination audio source, it updates appdata and is changed for all players installed. I think they used to have per computer/ per folder settings, but now its per user.

i am still looking around to try and have multiple zones of audio from one computer. Just gotta find the right program or configuration. i will try and post back if i find anything.

Ah i got it working with help from:
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=353691

you just need some command line switches, and in my case because i am running from a task, a batch file. here is an example. You simply duplicate your appdata folder (such as calling it winamp2), and then change inidir to reflect that. Open both, and change waveout or direct sound out to whichever sound card you want to use. They will then be saved to the appropriate folder (winamp or winamp2). The m3u playlist file is also on there because i want winamp to start playing that when its run. It is not nessecary for all applications. What is nessecary it seems is the switch '/new'. Otherwise  you will only get one winamp player to show up.

"C:\Program Files\Winamp\winamp.exe" /inidir="%appdata%\winamp" /new "C:\Music\Entrance_Music\default playlist 2010 04 06.m3u"

"C:\Program Files\Winamp\winamp.exe" /inidir="%appdata%\winamp2" /new "C:\Music\classical_for_atrium.m3u"

seems to work but i havent tested live yet.

Back