How to monitor a construction site?

opie

Need help finding a product.

I have a client who is building a cabin about 3.5 hours from his main residence and want's progressive photos of the build but doesn't want to make the drive just to take photos. The site does have temporary electrical service but it's frequently being used by the workers so I am looking for something solar or battery powered (or both).

Looking for an automatic solution that would be able to operate for a few weeks or so. A simple solution would be a camera that will take a photos at programmed intervals and save them to a standard memory card. This way, the client can go to the site and swap out memory cards for later viewing.

I have looked a little but can't seem to find anything like this. I thought I would put this out to the collective Genius of CT for advice.

Budget is about $500.

I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks,

Scott

They have those game cams for hunters, they aren't based on time but fit the rest of your needs. Maybe you can find one with contacts so you can use a timer...

CollinR said:
They have those game cams for hunters, they aren't based on time but fit the rest of your needs. Maybe you can find one with contacts so you can use a timer...
Thank you, I looked and found a few that look like they will work perfect. I wasn't aware such a product existed. I haven't hunted since I was 13. ;)

DavidL said:
I guess the contractor won't take the pics for cheaper than $500?

Well, I think he want's to keep an eye on the Contractor. :D

Hey Opie, did you ever implement anything for this? If so, how did it work?

Thanks,
--Jamie

I passed my recommendations on the the client and he never really did anything with it so unfortunately I don't have any feedback. This has been one of "those" projects; pre-wire was initially scheduled for Dec. 2006 and we still haven't drilled one hole almost one year later. He has basically replaced the GC and all subs at least once some twice and I don't think I'd mind if he replaced me. :)

Hey Opie, did you ever implement anything for this? If so, how did it work?

Thanks,
--Jamie

I passed my recommendations on the the client and he never really did anything with it so unfortunately I don't have any feedback. This has been one of "those" projects; pre-wire was initially scheduled for Dec. 2006 and we still haven't drilled one hole almost one year later. He has basically replaced the GC and all subs at least once some twice and I don't think I'd mind if he replaced me. :)

Reading this thread...my first thought was get a bigger budget...

http://www.wanco.com/le_portable_surv.htm

I designed a camera that sits on top of one of those...

You can actually rent those. Battery powered, or Line powered. Cellular Live video, Pan Tilt, 2 dome cameras (not mine), 2 other cameras (on one pan/tilt...my design). One is a low light Day Camera, the other is a Thermal Imager (not IR, real thermal in the 8-14um energy frequency).

But then again...I think these are mostly used for watching High value installations...like water reservoirs, or a refinery.

What's neat is right now they have my camera on tour. Just about each day one of my Engineer's log into the camera to "snap" live images from the streaming video, every few days it ends up somewhere else.

Then again...maybe I'm spoiled with my toys at work.

--Dan

Back