Howto: X10 lights on conduit for barn

TerryKing

I wanted to use x10 to independently control four 300W Halogen lights on the ceiling of my recently-built barn. I am using gray 3/4" PVC conduit and boxes with wires pulled inside for all wiring in the barn which is unheated thru Vermont winters. I wanted to mount X10 modules right inside each box that the lights mounted on. I looked at using appliance modules, but I would have to make 3 wired connections to the plugs, and find a way to glue or attach the module so that the settings could be changed from outside.

Luckily I found that an X10 SuperSocket module slides nicely right inside the Gray PVC Carlin boxes I am using from Home Depot. Drill two holes, and add a load connection on a plug blade, and you're ready to install. Now I can turn any of the 4 lights on and off from a PalmPad or PowerHome.

How It Worked is shown at http://terryking.us/photos/x10lights/

This could also be used with a blank cover, to make a conduit-inline X10 switch.

Any comments, suggestions, pointers to similar stuff appreciated!

Regards, Terry King ...On The Mediterranean in Carthage
(Back ...In The Woods In Vermont for the Summer)

Unique application.
An X10Pro XPFM Fixture Module probably would work also. It is made to mount inside a lights fixture.

I agree with BLH. An in-line module might have been a little easier to deal with. I did something similar, but used a dimming in-line module as shown in the photo below. I used an Octal "extender" box and there was plenty of room inside for the X-10 device.

This system sees over 100 degree days in the summer and has been operational for over three years.

Attachments

• floodlight.jpg
    floodlight.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 13
BLH said:
Unique application.
An X10Pro XPFM Fixture Module probably would work also. It is made to mount inside a lights fixture.
The XPFM is $21 to $22, compared to less than $10 for the SuperSocket, in cases where that amount matters in the total installation....

Plus, I had the SuperSockets! Mother of Invention etc...

Back