• You've been granted Beta access to this site, allowing you to explore some of the new features while they're still under construction. More information can be found in the Beta forum.

IBM Strives For "Superhuman" Speech Tech

electron

Administrator
Staff member
PCmag.com posted a great article about IBM's new voice recognition technology. It is able to comprehend 'the nuances of spoken English', and can even translate on the fly. Here are some interesting quotes:
In a demonstration today at IBM's headquarters here, for example, users changed a simulated radio station, by speaking any of the following phrases: "Play 92.3," "Tune to 92.3," or "Tune the radio to 92.3."

"At IBM, we have this superhuman speech recognition [initiative in which] the goal is to get performance comparable to humans in the next five years," Nahamoo said.

I can't wait for the day when we can use this kind of VR engine with our home automation software.

Read the article (PCmag.com)

Squintz

I like the sound of IBMs goals for VR but they seam to be admitting that even their superhuman engine is not practical right now. From what I read it seams that you are still limited to one voice profile at a time. I like the news that they understand how big this limitation is and are working to fix it.

Thanks for posting.