Ideas and help with wiring on new construction

tglarsen

Hi everyone!

New poster here and I'm trying to get everything in order before I go crazy with building the house.  I have drawn a diagram and am wanting to get things in order.

I would like to know what I need to buy to get this right.  My wants;

Mac Mini to 1->4 splitter, sending HDMI cable to 4 TVs
8 Cable outlets with possible sat hook-up.  (2 diff splitters in same box)
24 port ethernet switch.

I have included an image showing each connection to each room.  Sorry if the drawing is low-tech, but it was fastest and easiest.  I will be housing the box in my laundry room and this was what I was thinking;

Structured Enclosure Leviton
Splitter/Amp for 1-> HDMI
24 Port Gigabit Switch
Leviton 8 port TV coax splitter

The number within the line shows how many cables I will run to each room.

Thank you for any input and please let me know if you have questions, as I'm happy to answer.

psjPDft.jpg

PS:  Sorry for any mix-ups in placement, as I'm hoping you will all set me straight.

Looks pretty good.

I'd do more research on that HDMI splitter. Find others online who have used it successfully with the Mac Mini. How long are your HDMI runs?

I'm not sure if that switch will fit in an enclosure.

I'm not sure if you'll need a powered 1 x 8 splitter for the cable coax.

Let us know what you do! Good luck!

I would agree with Neurorad on the HDMI splitting, length of runs, et al.  Maybe some testing of said $48 HDMI amplifier splitter box?

Here its been a few years now and ran 2-3 RG-6 cables to many rooms because mostly of existing technology at the time.  The OTA cable / antenna and broadband cable have amplifiers and the satellite does not.  One does carry IR blasting.  (not really used to much these days).  The OTA also contains two in house channels.  Broadband is just that and satellite is similiar.  (satellite though is configured for both Dish and DirectTV).  Today one RG-6 would suffice.  The RG-6 splitters are of two types here; amplified and single RG-6 in and out and amplfied and split (there is a Leviton in the mix there). 

Network wise have installed 2-3 cat5e in each of the bedrooms; with one cat5e on the same wall plate as the RG6 cable terminations.

Relating (and currently playing with) using MacMini (Aopen Digital Engines) with HDMI out running XBMC locally and connected to Gb links to the main switch.  These boxes / SBMC are remote controllable and recently provide live TV / recording / EPG stuff locally.  I am today (but its been a few years now) extending one HDMI connection room to room using a rapidrun cable.

When you sign up for cable service, they will typically provide you with a powered amp, if you need it.  I'd probably skip the coax splitter, and let them provide what's needed.  Installation, setup, and service has always been free for me, with Comcast (and now DirecTV, too).

Thanks for the info, everyone.  For some reason I wasn't subscribed to this....  so I didn't think anyone had responded.  Looks like I have a few things to check out.  If it looks like I am close to being properly set up (which shocks me) then I'll start looking at the actual performance of stuff.

is there anything that I should be sure to add that I may regret later?  Extra cable somewhere, different cable type...???

Thank you for the help... going to subscribe to my own post now.  ha

I'd look at Redmere technology HDMI cables (careful, they're directional - don't install them backwards), for at least the longer runs.

I'd run 3 or more category cables to each TV location, in addition to the HDMI.  They can be used for distributed IR, and for extenders for the next generation of HDMI cables (or whatever replaces HDMI).

Back