IE7 is Now Officially Out

All I can say is It's Greaat! I love the tabbed browsing and the icon view for selecting web pages is excellent. The zoom feature comes in very handy as well.

There are going to a lot of apps that so not work. IE has become more HTML standards compliant and some of those IE only pages will have to be corrected.

Are PNG images Alpha Transparent now? I have been running the IE7 beta for a while but never took the time to notice.

Rupp said:
There are going to a lot of apps that so not work. IE has become more HTML standards compliant and some of those IE only pages will have to be corrected.
Actually, not to disagree, but the core engine is still based on IE4 and no additional standards compliance was done. Its probably related more to security. Elk RM works just fine in Firefox 2.0 RC3 which is much more standards compliant than IE.

I get pages that will load with IE6, but error out in 7 saying incompatible browser (or some major functionalty of the page is broke). So there must be some major revisions under the hood.

Sounds an awful lot like the Avant browser, which has been running on the IE engine with all those features for a long time...

MeSteve said:
I get pages that will load with IE6, but error out in 7 saying incompatible browser . . .
That could be the web pages themselves.

A lot of pages are coded to check which browser you are using, and act accordingly. The may not yet be updated for IE7.

Microsoft will be automatically updating systems to IE7 as they now classified it as a "critical update". This means if you have automatic updates enabled, this puppy will be installed for your viewing pleasure automatically!! :)

There is a way to block this via a file download HERE.

Info from that site:

To help our customers become more secure and up-to-date, Microsoft will distribute Internet Explorer 7 as a high-priority update via Automatic Updates for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 soon after the final version of the browser is released (planned for fourth quarter 2006). Microsoft is making a non-expiring Blocker Toolkit available for those organizations that would like to block automatic delivery of Internet Explorer 7 to machines in environments where Automatic Updates is enabled.

Skibum said:
Why on earth would you want to block the update??? :)
Well, considering an update of this magnitude, I would say at least give the user the choice.

Not all have had glowing success with Microsoft updates and may want some discretion with this one. ;)

Of course one could agrue that if one was that paranoid they shouldn't have automatic updates as an option in the first place. B)

We just updated 122 PC's and counting and so far so good. The users seem to really like it. It's that dang Google update that has everyone in a tissy here.

Rupp said:
We just updated 122 PC's and counting and so far so good. The users seem to really like it. It's that dang Google update that has everyone in a tissy here.
Not sure what you mean by that one Rupp.

Google just did an upgrade to the Google tool bar that almost moves it into the spamware category. They added several lines to the registry and put Google > Send to links all over the machine. All without an option to opt out.

Back