If you are going to sell your house, what do you do with the M1G (etc)?

I just sold my house, and left mine without he accessories (M1 XEP, output expander).  They have what is a basic alarm  with lighting control.   It would have cost more to remove it and install something else than to leave it.

hgupta1 said:
I just sold my house, and left mine without he accessories (M1 XEP, output expander).  They have what is a basic alarm  with lighting control.   It would have cost more to remove it and install something else than to leave it.

So you would have felt obligated to replace it, as opposed to saying "There are all the labeled wires, get the vendor of your choice to put something in"?

Linwood said:
So you would have felt obligated to replace it, as opposed to saying "There are all the labeled wires, get the vendor of your choice to put something in"?
Yeah.. mostly because I thought it would look bad and may scare off some potential buyers.  We were trying to make ours look move in ready to get the highest price.    Also  I didn't know how long the house was going to be on the market and so  the alarm was active through the date of the closing.   

Also, I had already purchased another Elk for the new house, so I didn't need the other.

Yeah, I've been having second thoughts about taking it out as the smokes are powered by it, and I think there's a serious issue if I deliver a house having "disabled" the smokes, despite any disclaimers.  Leaning toward just giving it all over as-is, with manuals, and maybe trying to find someone locally who will support it if needed.

Anyone know a SW Florida company who might want to adopt an M1G for a new owner?

I personally would stay out of trying to find someone to support it. When they sign on the dotted line, if they need assistance, it is really up to them to find the correct resource.  As they say, "No good deed goes unpunished".

I'd leave the manual, reset the main access code to default and leave it be.

@lanbrown, I get it, but I am thinking if it's a strange system and someone says "if you want someone to handle it, here's a local company that claims to" more about a pre-sales comfort factor.  Though I'll consider your point, thanks.

I went through this fairly recently.  We had a house that was all automated with cameras, an M1G, UPB and even sprinklers tied into the M1.  In addition, this community supplies internet to the house - the buyer wouldn't be getting their own.  I moved out of state on very short notice, and not directly into a purchased home - so I left everything as is... cameras, nvr, even a little server running Upstart and DynDNS.  I took out my better router but left wifi and a cheaper functional router.  The new owners were very interested in the cameras and automation - it was a selling point to them.

The day they took the keys, 30 minutes later, the 2Gig guy showed up and screwed up much of the M1 - luckily the sensors were all wireless so both could monitor but he took down some keypads.  Since the sale, I've ended up providing a decent amount of after-sale support for basic networking (Elk requires DDNS and access through the firewall)  - at this point, more than I'd like to - I want to be done and never look back.  In this day and age, even though I feel we were 100% above-book on everything, I don't want to be in contact in case the buyers find something they want to complain about in the future - or worse, try to sue over... I'd rather just be gone.

I left basically everything behind that was in use - took any spare parts.  My thinking was that I would move to RadioRA2 for lighting and see if there were any newer/better options for security.

Now I'm in the purchased home - I went Ecobee for the thermostats, and we're now finding we use Alexa and Siri automation quite a bit - the kids have Hue bulbs in their nightlights that we use and set colors on, and the Home app in iOS is good for tstats and lights.  I have a pile of RRa2 switches here ready to start installing; I'm going Rachio for sprinklers.  We have at least 9 Alexa devices around, including piped into the whole house audio system.  Also - this house had no doorbell like mentioned above - the seller just patched the hole and went on with life... I questioned it in the disclosures and they said they used a ring, but took it with them.  We bought the Ring 2 and run it totally wireless (not as ideal as wired but I'll run a wire someday) - it's actually pretty nice now - when someone rings the bells, it announces on every Alexa device that someone is at the door - including the overhead speakers throughout.

We also just went through xmas without all my fancy automated UPB lighting... I thought it'd be sad/irritating - but my wife bought two cheap plug-in timers and it got the job done fine.

I still need to circle back into security - not sure which way I'll go.  I know things will never be 100% centrally controlled and without the cloud like I had with the M1 - but I can still accomplish everything I need to so far...  I am still trying to minimize how much cloud control is involved.  I also bought a Vera but have mixed feelings so far...

Work2Play said:
I still need to circle back into security - not sure which way I'll go.  I know things will never be 100% centrally controlled and without the cloud like I had with the M1 - but I can still accomplish everything I need to so far...  I am still trying to minimize how much cloud control is involved.  I also bought a Vera but have mixed feelings so far...

When you decide which way you go, I'll be curious, as I have the same situation.  I'll likely do cameras first (I think they are more deterrent, and more interesting), but eventually want to run a bunch of wires to contacts (none now -- so lots of work) and install something.

So I sold the house, and we have closed.  

Things I did and learned: 

No one had much interest in the cameras or security systems while shopping, no questions, etc.  I'm sure they noticed them, but it was not an issue while selling.

It also was passed over during home inspection and all the acceptance periods in the contract.  

I had at this point removed the PC serving as an NVR, left the POE switch, and left the entire Elk panel in and running and connected to Alarm Relay. 

As we approached closing I think they started to worry, and asked all sorts of questions.  I wrote down a lot of details, and showed up on their final walkthru to show them how to download the panel configuration with elkrp, where to get software, shared account information with Alarm Relay, etc.  The guy's eyes glazed over a bit but they did not complain.  I offered to answer questions later.

Since close have not heard anything.  

I was very careful, in writing, more than once to explain that the panel powered the smoke detectors, and that there would be no fire protection if they did not keep it powered and working (monitoring aside).  Including telling them again in front of both realtors.  That was my biggest fear, that they would power it down and a fire would occur.  I was also careful to tell them in writing it was done by the home-owner, and we made no representations as to whether it met code or worked or anything else, it was just as-is.  Because Florida has way too many lawyers.

But... in the end, the whole alarm and security camera set up was not a significant part of the sale of the house.  I don't want to say I worried for nothing, but I think I worried more than I need have.

So you don't think you took a cut on the price due to having "complexity in the house"?

I figure, anybdy that is in to it, doesn't want your mess. Anybody that is not into it, doesnt want it. It is a very specific world.
I have mine for sale now and I am leaving it in until it sells but the docs will say "not included" and be non-specific what HA means. It scares people, even my techie children.

LarrylLix said:
So you don't think you took a cut on the price due to having "complexity in the house"?

I figure, anybdy that is in to it, doesn't want your mess. Anybody that is not into it, doesnt want it. It is a very specific world.
I have mine for sale now and I am leaving it in until it sells but the docs will say "not included" and be non-specific what HA means. It scares people, even my techie children.
No.  While it was for sale (and we were sweating as we did not get a lot of interest) we got a lot of feedback on specific things -- Lanai too small, roof needs cleaning, etc.  No one even mentioned anything about the security system.

During the final walkthru it was obvious that having a security system was important to the people who bought it.  He just wanted to know how to get it turned on an working, he did not seem to have even paid much attention to what it was before then.

I am quite surprised, as you appear to be, and it may differ in different markets or people, but no, I do not think anyone paid any real attention to it being a complicated DIY install.

Back