What do YOU do with your home automation

Hi All,

I just started the finishing of my "demo" home automation home, and thought I would share a couple of the things we did with you guys. Of course theres the all the usuals: lighting, whole house audio, video distribution, voice recog, etc.. I won't list everything as it seems a lot of people have already given some great uses, but I'll just give you some of my favorites from this project.

Audio and Video
We went a little heavy on the audio/video. 5,000 sq foot home with a total of 49 speakers. 7 are wall mounted for the 7.1 theater. 5 are for the 5.1 mini theater room, 6 (3 pairs) are in the most common areas dedicated to system notifications. The rest are distributed throughout the house and split into 16 independent zones. Not a single room including bathrooms are with out a pair of speakers. Depending on the mode the house is in, the audio can be controlled by flush mount controls in each zone, or the ability to play a desired source and have it follow you through the house, turning speakers on and off as the homes motions detect occupancy. Each flush mount audio controller also has a built in mic that is used for voice recognition and intercom features.

Wake UP Mode

7:00am- alarm wakes user1 up. Lighting path dimmed to master bath and master bath lights on and soft playing audio on. If motion is detected in the Master Bath between 7:00 and 7:20, the shower is started and set to a predetermined temp level. This can be canceled anytime via voice command from bathroom mic. Either 10 mins into shower, or immediately following shower termination, coffee is started in kitchen. Audio is turned on or off depending on room occupancy as to not disturb others sleeping. Audio is also switched to desired talk radio 20 mins after first "waking action" is detected. Once into "wake up phase 2", Alarm is turned off night mode to off mode, vehicle is started 5 mins prior to departure time. Upon departure security is set back to "stay"mode and normal operation.

Auto
I noticed a previous post regarding the locking of car doors via the key fob. This was actually the first application we used the key fob for vehicle automation. One of my favorite uses. We did one feature beyond the lock, unlock, and start feature. We utilized the rain sensor we installed for the irrigation system, and set the system to send the window roll up from the key fobs for all the vehicles that had remote roll up. These are the kind of uses I really like. Simple, but something that can really save your day when you realize that it started pouring rain an hour prior, but the home has taken care of you.

HVAC
COMPLETE HVAC CONTROL. Luckily, we started this project in the building phase. Because of this we were able to install motorized dampers into the HVAC system. The home has a single furnace on each floor, each floor has 3 zones. A total of 9 zones and 9 thermos. This has been absolutely amazing to watch. The software has been loaded to monitor living conditions and trends. It's been amazing watching how precise it has kept the different temperature in each zone and "learning" the best way to utilize the system.
*Very Basic Example" -- During the winter it has learned that it is much more effective to generally use the lower level furnace and let the heat rise to the higher floors. The entire house has stayed within 9/10 of 1 degree in all zones 97% of the time. The local gas and electric company actually knocked on the door and asked "curious" questions as to the low utility usage of this home opposed to the others in the neighborhood. I can't tell you how ecstatics my inner geek was this point.

My Personal Fav
Oddly this is probably the simplest automation usage in the house, but it definitely has a great "wow" factor when people see it. We created a "cleaning mode" that is used during maid cleaning. It shuts down fans to keep dust from circulating, turns off all electronics, allows the maids security code to access the security system, etc. But my favorite part is the chandelier in front entry. The front entry is completely open all the way to the vaulted ceiling on the top floor. Upon clean mode, the chandelier is lowered 2 floors via a special wench hidden in the attic, all the way until it sits on the front entry floor. This really makes cleaning and changing bulbs a breeze. Also when I demo this feature I have "So fresh and So Clean" by outkast play over the whole house audio. Great for demo but probably not everytime you want to clean the house.

Well I hope this was useful to any newbies. The one piece of advice I would give when trying to decide what you want to make your house automate is... Really focus on the things that will make your life easier. Some things are super fun, and cool to show off, but the real value comes when you find ideas that better your state of living, or cut financial cost by being resourceful. Be careful this is hobby that will become an obsession quick.

I have updated my previous post to reflect my migration from Homeseer to Girder 5 for the automation software. G5 has been running very stable since June.

John

Hi all

I have just moved in to my new house so there are a few tidy ups to go but here is the jist of it. I am on a rural property with 2 houses and two large farm sheds. All are connected together. There is more automation in my house though.

The system

Lighting
Clipsal C-bus. Both houses and both sheds have C-bus lighting control. This allows me to do anything I want and anytime just be programming different scenes into various devices (M1 or CQC or C-bus).

Connected to CQC

Alarm
I have a Ness M1 (Ness is the Aust distributor for ELK). I have a c-bus interface, Ethernet interface and a couple of panels distributed around the house. One panel is in the server room, the other is in the WIR at the other end of the house and one is in the shed.

Every door and window in the house is monitored. Every door and window int he shed is monitored.

Connected to CQC

A/C
AdvantageAir with a home automation interface. This allows me to connect it to CQC for full control (driver being written now, but I have one way control so far).

A/V
LG plasma connected to CQC via serial connection.

SMS
GSM modem connected to CQC

CID
Connected to CQC

Hot water system.
connected to M1. Measure the collector temp, cold inlet temp and circulator running status. No real control, just monitoring.

Water tank
Being rural we do not have town water and hence have a 120kL tank. I have an ultrasonic level transmitter from Vega (4-20mA Loop) on top measuring tank level. This is fed to the M1. I had to remove the resistors from the input expander to get it to measure external voltage. (used for the HWS as well).
The pump shed has a pressure transmitter from Yokogawa (4-20mA Loop). Connected into the M1
I built a pump starter that has an auto manual switch and feeds back the running ignal for the pump and the healthy status (ie man or auto). Pump is always in auto so when a tap is turned on it starts automatically. I can monitor the run time of the pump to determine (infer) if there is a leak or not.

Garage Door motors
Connected to M1 (both shed and house)

When the alarm is armed away all lights go out after a couple of minutes (time to get out) and the A/C is turned off. If any of the garage door s are left open then the system will close them. If the TV is left on it is turned off as well.

I currently have a scene to feed the dogs. It lights up a path tot he shed and turns on the sheds lights that are needed.

Upon returning home and its dark, opening the garage door will turn on the garage eaves down lights to 40% for 5 mins - enough time to get in. The hall way light comes on at a low value to allow the user to enter in a code into the alarm. Once disarmed the lights come on brighter and a path is lit up to the kitchen/living area. The hall lights go out after a few minutes.

Many small scenes inside for lighting.

SMS to turn the electric fence on or off. If you are in the paddock and want the fence off you just send an SMS back tot he server. It reports when it has turned the fence off.

SMS to turn the A/C on before you get home. We dont run it in setback mode - the climate is too temperate for that feature to be needed.

SMS to open the garage door. In case the keys or remote go missing. This has come in handy a few times so far.

Morning mode. Opening the door into the living/kit will turn on the TV to the show we watch in the morning and set the volume down to a decent level. It opens the curtains on the sliding door int he kitchen.

All off at night. Turns off all lights and TV.

Pump monitoring. If alarm is on and the pump runs for more than 10 mins an SMS is sent out to indicate excessive run time. I need to ad an isoplation valve after the pump so I can isolate remotely and prevent too much water from being lost.

When the A/C is tuned on the system will alert to doors that are open that should not be open or door that need to be opened that are closed. The system is an eight zone system where each room is an individual zone.

The list is endless with what is to be added

front gate automation
head tank for when we have no power (hence water pump does not work) and logic to fill it.
horse trough filling
dam level and stock water pump control
garden watering
pool automation
weather based control of shed garage door (If wind is excessive we need to shut the door).

I have probably missed a few things here but its already too long (I cant help myself when it comes to this stuff)

Mick

HVAC
COMPLETE HVAC CONTROL. Luckily, we started this project in the building phase. Because of this we were able to install motorized dampers into the HVAC system. The home has a single furnace on each floor, each floor has 3 zones. A total of 9 zones and 9 thermos. This has been absolutely amazing to watch. The software has been loaded to monitor living conditions and trends. It's been amazing watching how precise it has kept the different temperature in each zone and "learning" the best way to utilize the system.
*Very Basic Example" -- During the winter it has learned that it is much more effective to generally use the lower level furnace and let the heat rise to the higher floors. The entire house has stayed within 9/10 of 1 degree in all zones 97% of the time. The local gas and electric company actually knocked on the door and asked "curious" questions as to the low utility usage of this home opposed to the others in the neighborhood. I can't tell you how ecstatics my inner geek was this point.

JClark

Your automation of the HVAC is exactly what I'm looking for. What software did you load? I assume you have a variable speed blower on your furnace (s)...is your zoning program smart enough to make sure that if only 1 or 2 zones are calling for heat/cool, the excess air is either being "dumped" into another zone, or ramping the fan speed down? How much cost approximately did this system add?

All the zone boards that I've found only allow communication to the controller via the communicating t stats(change temp, fan status via automation) but no monitoring of living conditions or trends.

Please P.M. me or post direct.

thanks.

Back