impedance matching with speakers

dwalder2

Guys, I think I need a little bit of help here. I just moved into a new house.....the house was previously wired for sound in a few locations. I used a multimeter to check one of the speakers and found the resistance to be about 6 ohms. I figured that most speakers are either 4 or 8 so I factored in the possiblity that the wire I was testing them from could have been about 100-200 feet long thus I probally have 4 ohm speakers.

How does impedance matching work and what do I need to know in order to ensure that the speakers, amp and everything else work correctly? Also, I should note that I have volume controls inbetween the amp and the speakers that also have the ability to change impedance.

Thanks,

Dave

Guys, I think I need a little bit of help here. I just moved into a new house.....the house was previously wired for sound in a few locations. I used a multimeter to check one of the speakers and found the resistance to be about 6 ohms. I figured that most speakers are either 4 or 8 so I factored in the possiblity that the wire I was testing them from could have been about 100-200 feet long thus I probally have 4 ohm speakers.

How does impedance matching work and what do I need to know in order to ensure that the speakers, amp and everything else work correctly? Also, I should note that I have volume controls inbetween the amp and the speakers that also have the ability to change impedance.

Thanks,

Dave

Dave,

I have a similar issue. I am installing speakers and a volume control in my bathroom. The Amp will put out 150 watts per channel and it had the ability to attach two speakers per channel ( ‘A’ and ‘B’ for both left and right). I plan to use the 'A' channel for a pair of speakers rated at 100 watts each @ 8 ohms mounted in the bathroom ceiling. These speakers will be connected to a volume control that is also rated at 100 Watts @ 8 ohms. Channel ‘B’ will be connected to four speakers rated at 35 watts each at 6 ohms mounted behind the bathtub, two speakers for the left channel and two speakers for the right channel. Each channel of these speakers will be connected in parallel to a volume control rated for 75 watts at 8 ohms. I am pretty sure I may have a miss match somewhere but I do not plan to ever turn up the volume all of the way to blasting mode.

I found this website that give a general way to calculate ohms but the end of the article does not give me a warm fuzzy when he end the article with a "your mileage may vary" kind of statement.

Were you ever able to figure out your issue?

Rod

I have a similar issue. I am installing speakers and a volume control in my bathroom. The Amp will put out 150 watts per channel and it had the ability to attach two speakers per channel ( ‘A’ and ‘B’ for both left and right). I plan to use the 'A' channel for a pair of speakers rated at 100 watts each @ 8 ohms mounted in the bathroom ceiling. These speakers will be connected to a volume control that is also rated at 100 Watts @ 8 ohms.

Good God. :rolleyes: I don't think I'd be able to remove my hands from my ears long enough to wipe with that much sound power in there. Or that must be some biiiiiig bathroom.

Resistance and impedance aren't excactly the same thing. Think of impedance as "AC resistance".

A speaker that measures about 6 ohms on an ohm-meter is an 8 ohm speaker. 4 ohm speakers you'll get about 3.2.

As the speaker coil vibrates in the magnetic field, it produces an impedance that is 8 ohms.

Tim

Good God. :rolleyes: I don't think I'd be able to remove my hands from my ears long enough to wipe with that much sound power in there. Or that must be some biiiiiig bathroom.

I agree it really is over kill for a bathroom. I'm just using what I have, vs. buying something that will better fit my needs.

Rod

As Timh correctly noted, impedance and resistance are two different measurements. Impedance (Z) is made up of Resistance ® and Reactance. Your meter is measuring resistance so it will read less than the impedance of the circuitry.

So how does this relate to speakers, amps and impedance matching?

Most speakers are 8 ohms (many car audio ones are 4) and so amp manufacturers typically size their amps to efficiently drive 8 ohm loads. When you start wiring multiple speakers in parallel to a single amp channel you begin to lower the effective impedance that the amp sees. You can see this by the simple formula that 1/Ztotal = 1/Z1 + 1/Z2 + 1/Zn. If I wire two 8 ohm speakers in parallel, my equivalent impedance is 1/Ztotal = 1/8 + 1/8...Solve for Ztotal and you get 4 ohms. Some amps are good down to 4 ohms, some only to 6. Check your amp specs to see.

So, what happens to your amp at these different loads. In very oversimplification and using ohm's law for pure resistance, current = Square Root (Power/Resistance). If we lower the impedance (resistance) for a constant power (our amp), the current increases. More current = more heat and our amp bakes. If we raise the impedance, the current decreases. Since the current drives the magnets on the speakers we end up with less ability to efficiently drive our speakers. So, in essence, our amp really wants to operate in that sweet spot of 8 ohms.

Now, if you want to connect multiple speakers to a single channel on an amp, we must find a way to get the equivalent impedance back to 8 ohms. As you saw, if we wire two sets in parallel we have 4 ohms. But if we could add a device to the circuit that multiplied the impedance of each speaker by 2, then we get back to 8 ohms. We see this by 1/Ztotal = 1/2x8 + 1/2x8 = 1/16 + 1/16 = 2/16 = 1/8 = 8. Back to 8 ohms and all is good. That's where impedance matching volume controls or switches come in handy. And it is why you will see them often with dip switch or jumper settings labled 2X, 4X, 8X, etc. It means 2 (times), 4 (times), etc.

Another example, if we have four sets of speakers in parallel, then we connect them to four VCs, set them to 4X and end up with 1/Z = 1/32 + 1/32 + 1/32 + 1/32 = 8. Where it starts to get a little tricky is if you have 3 or 5 speakers. Most VCs/Switches don't have 3X or 5X settings. So we have to compromise. For 3 sets, we could use 4X and end up with 1/32 + 1/32 + 1/32 ~ 10 ohms. If we used 2X for the same scenario we get 3/16 ~ 5.3 ohms. In this case 10 ohms is better unless you KNOW your amp is good down to 4 ohms. At 10 ohms, yes our speakers are a little less efficient but we aren't burning up our amp and you'll probably never notice the difference.

I hope that helps a little. I really oversimplified alot of the engineering, but hope you get the point.

Super explantion robertmee! This impedance thing is always confusing me.

Now, but for how long? :unsure: it's clearer!

always wondered if this would work . . seems like the place to ask . .

can I hook up four 8ohm speakers . . two each in series . . then parallel wire those back to the amp . . and still end up at 8ohms ? ?

Pete C

Here is an alternative explanation:

1. The main thing to be concerned about is to not lower the impedance load on the amplifier too far. Most amps can go down to about 4 ohms, or the better ones to 2 ohms. Each amp will have a spec on how low you can go.
2. Putting speakers in parallel is the way we lower the impedance load seen by the amplifier. In other words, each amp has a limit on how many speakers you can put in parallel. Typically this is 2 speakers, but sometimes only 1.
3. Using a volume control transformer is a way to have independant volume control for each speaker, without changing the impedance seen by the amp. This keeps the amplifier happy.
4. Impedance, as oppose to resistance, can be thought of as "frequency dependant" resistance. Resistance is normally thought of as DC resistance. This would also be equivalent as having a frequency of 0. As the frequency of the input signal changes, the impedance will also change. If you have ever seen a "frequency response" curve for a speaker, this is the magnitude portion of the impedance curve. It is very typical for impedance to vary 10 or 20 ohms throughout the speaker frequency range.

can I hook up four 8ohm speakers . . two each in series . . then parallel wire those back to the amp . . and still end up at 8ohms ? ?
Mike is correct. However, the caviot is that each speaker will receive only one fourth of the power that you will receive from just one speaker for a given volume level. The total power delivered to the series/parallel arrangement is still the same as for a single speaker, but each speaker in the series/parallel arrangement will be noticeably less loud. However, the amplifier will be very happy with this arrangement.

Mike is correct. However, the caviot is that each speaker will receive only one fourth of the power that you will receive from just one speaker for a given volume level. The total power delivered to the series/parallel arrangement is still the same as for a single speaker, but each speaker in the series/parallel arrangement will be noticeably less loud. However, the amplifier will be very happy with this arrangement.

so as long as I take this into account, and use, say, an amp that put out 30w and (4) 10w speakers I would be OK . .

. . what are the downsides, if any, to switching off one channel of a stereo amp ? ?

thanks

Pete C

what are the downsides, if any, to switching off one channel of a stereo amp ? ?
The only downside is that you potentially lose amplifier power. I say potentially, because I dont know the amplifier properties. If your amp can handle a 4 ohm load, then you can use all of the power of the amp to drive the speakers.

If you can put 2 speakers in parallel on each channel you will put 4 times the total power to the speakers as you can with a series/parallel arrangement (with 4 speakers on one channel).

If you don't need the volume capability, no big deal. The series parallel arrangement/single-channel idea will work.

Many times the minimun load impedance is printed on the back of the amp, or it should be in the owners manual.

Back