Incandescent phase out? What next?

Has anyone here tried CCFLs? The bulb linked here is not bright enough for me but they are supposed to be getting higher wattage bulbs.
http://www.betterbulb.com/a19_ccflbulb.html

I have some 18w Neptun CFL bulbs on order that claim to be dimmable to %10, I'll let people know how they work.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well it took only 2 months for the first Neptun dimmible bulb to burn out, the dimming sucks also.

Has anyone here tried CCFLs? The bulb linked here is not bright enough for me but they are supposed to be getting higher wattage bulbs.

I have some 18w Neptun CFL bulbs on order that claim to be dimmable to %10, I'll let people know how they work.

I would say they are interesting, but I notice they only claim to dim to the 10% level. Perhaps that is enough, but it caught my attention.

The other thing I wonder about is their statement:

"that are designed to perfectly replace warm white incandescent bulbs and be able to dim them with any off-the-shelf dimmer."

I have never seen a wamr white incandescent bulb.

If they are the Neptunes that look like a regular bulb they do not dim down to 10% for me. I also had a few 15 watters dies after a few months.

I would say they are interesting, but I notice they only claim to dim to the 10% level. Perhaps that is enough, but it caught my attention.

The other thing I wonder about is their statement:

"that are designed to perfectly replace warm white incandescent bulbs and be able to dim them with any off-the-shelf dimmer."

I have never seen a wamr white incandescent bulb.

I don't know of any bulbs other than incandescents that dim lower than 10%, many claim dimming only to 20%. I am just trying to find a workable solution, so far I have not been happy with the CFL or L.E.D. bulbs I have tried.

If they are the Neptunes that look like a regular bulb they do not dim down to 10% for me. I also had a few 15 watters dies after a few months.

The ones I ordered are the spiral type, here is a link to their site, I have had problems with CFLs not lasting anywhere near their rated life also.
http://www.neptunlight.com/index2.html

I will order a couple of the CCFLs when I can find the 18w versions of the one I linked to.

The ones I ordered are the spiral type, here is a link to their site, I have had problems with CFLs not lasting anywhere near their rated life also.

I will order a couple of the CCFLs when I can find the 18w versions of the one I linked to.

I am done wasting money buying L.E.D. and CFL bulbs, I have spent enough money to buy thousands of incandescent bulbs on CFL and L.E.D.bulbs and have not found anything that dims well or even last anywhere near as long as they claim. The last dimmable Neptun CFL bulbs I bought didn't last as long as an incandescent bulb does and at $14 each I can buy a lot of electricity instead. I will try CCFLs if I ever find any bright enough to see with.

I'm going to stock up on enough incandescents to last me till I can replace them with LED lights when they become affordable - Maybe sooner than we think but we'll see. I refuse to use CF for too many reasons to get into.

Thanks for link. I was not aware of this lighting technology ... and Gordon Petersen makes a compelling case for CCFLs.

The problem with CCFLs is they don't make anything bright enough, the highest output I have found is 13 watts and they are not as bright as
a 13 watt CFL. Also I am leery of the claims on the life of the bulbs, I have had CFLs fail all over the house in far less time then they were supposed to last.
Most of them, maybe all of them are made in China and it seems quality is not a major concern in the products they make.

I am done wasting money buying L.E.D. and CFL bulbs, I have spent enough money to buy thousands of incandescent bulbs on CFL and L.E.D.bulbs and have not found anything that dims well or even last anywhere near as long as they claim. The last dimmable Neptun CFL bulbs I bought didn't last as long as an incandescent bulb does and at $14 each I can buy a lot of electricity instead. I will try CCFLs if I ever find any bright enough to see with.

As I stated earlier I am very dissapointed with the neptune bulbs as well. I spent hundreds of dollars on them and they died within 6 months on average. I still have a few more new in the box but they will probably be gone in another 6 to 9 months as I keep replacing them.

I had bought a ton of non dimmable's about 3 years ago (300 of them) for $0.85 each including shipping (on ebay of all places) that are 15 watts and put out a decent amount of light. I have only had one die so far and I am even using them in ceiling fans and outside. I sold most of them for about $2.50 each so I made money on the deal and kept about 50 for myself. They even look like a regular bulb not the spiral. I cant remember the mfg name at the moment.

To me its hit or miss with CFL's.

I have gone back to incandescents in a few places after being 100% CFL for over a year. My electric bill is to high to get rid of the CFL's for now.

Back