Install Uplink 4500EZ

hudsoncorp

Currently have a Napco Gemini 3200 panel, monitored by NextAlarm via IP Comcast Cable, and want to add cellular back up.

Per NextAlarm, I purchased the Uplink4500EZ, and the external antenna just in case it's needed. Now waiting for delivery.  

NextAlarm will provide no information about the install other than "follow the instructions in the box". The Uplink sheet says a separate power supply is required, others say serial cables, etc. are needed?

I would like to get this up and running as quickly as possible, and any help you are able to give me would be greatly appreciated!

Regards
Liam

I don't understand why they pushed you into the 4500EZ....you're not going to be able to connect it to the 3200 (no serial port) any other way except via the bell output, which means you get a single signal, for each siren condition, burg and fire but no further information.

You may or may not need a separate power supply.

Honestly, you need to know more about your install and communications route prior to choosing the cellular. Actually, whether or not you have their ABN or other device to communicate to them (which should be looked at further). Kinda scary when you know the details of their device, the monitoring route and how they're adding another device which is akin to sending a single smoke signal out to them.

DEL: Thanks for the reply. Currently on their ABN IP Comcast Cable. NextAlarm no longer answers their telephone, even for sales calls, everything by email. After much back & forth the end result was that the Uplink4500EZ is the ONLY communicator that will work with their system. They claim that it will work with the Napco panel, everything the same as now, daily tests, trouble, failures, arm/disarm, etc. I guess the question at this point is how would you do it?
Thanks

It's not the same.....

Keep in mind, NA is just a generic clearinghouse for services. They do not own or run their own CS. There's a lot of other things in their equation, but that's the start.

They'll get a generic test timer from the cell, but nothing from the panel. Actually, the host panel (if you power the cell externally) can be completely down and they'll never see it. Same with your end on the panel....you could have the ABN down and the cell down and not know about it.

My best guess is they're intending on having you connect the 4500 to the bell output and run redundant cell signals to the ABN and hope for the best, since there's no way to tell your system to fail over to the cell alone.

Assuming you have a compatible dialer format in the 3200, I'd suggest a 4530EX or similar and port the data through dialer capture and then program a zone for cell supervision on the host panel. There's a whole host of other cells you could use, but the uplink is the the most transparent to the CS.

I would ditch the ABN unless there is a specific reason to keep it.

Finally sorted out--Uplink 4530EX back up cell comm. NA restricts cellular to back up only. This one seems to have the capabilities to be the main reporting source somewhere down the line.

Now have to install Napco Gemini GEM-RECV32 to replace current GEM-RECV-16. Can anyone tell me if it will automatically pick up, and self-install the existing sensors? Any help, or tips will be appreciated.

Back