Insteon questions

TCassio said:
tanstaaf,
A basic plugin for Homeseer was just announced. I beleive it was written by Jon Ort, the author of the WGL W800 transciever plugin, one of the best plugins Homeseer has. Keep in mind this is a basic plugin with more to come. Visit the Homeseer site for more info.
Plugin for what exactly, Insteon?

Thanks,

BSR

TCassio said:
tanstaaf,
A basic plugin for Homeseer was just announced. I beleive it was written by Jon Ort, the author of the WGL W800 transciever plugin, one of the best plugins Homeseer has. Keep in mind this is a basic plugin with more to come. Visit the Homeseer site for more info.
Uh oh. I just filed a "report" instead of posting a response!

Am I correct that HomeSeer now supports all three (UPB just released and Insteon in partial beta form)? Can it handle all three contemporaneously?

Someone suggested I attend CES to see, I think, Zwave devices on display. Is there a good HA only show?

BraveSirRobbin said:
Guy Lavoie said:
I have just bought an Elk and I have yet to even turn it on...
:eek: One more screw-up like this Guy and I'll demote you from being "my idol"! ;)
Laughing to tears! ...really. :eek::D

As you can probably guess, I bought it at that point in time (3 weeks ago) to beat the price increase that had been announced for Dec 1st. I'm really looking forward to digging into the M1 but I really want to finish up my RCS thermostat module project first. It's fully functional but there is a little bug somewhere in my assembler code that causes a bit of garbage to be sent to the serial port once in a while, and I want to find it! Having 100% clean code then allows me to reuse that code in future projects...because you can be sure that I'll try talking to the M1 in a similar manner in a future project.

Just a warning Guy,

You are also my hero (everything I know about the Ocelot I learned from you),

So please don't forsake the cat for that big deer, or I'll topple you off of the pedistal I have your staute on ;)

pkoslow said:
... but we do keep the font door locked WHILE we're home. The front door only unlocks for 5mins when we arrive, and then locks back up.
I don't want to sound naive but isn't that a bit extreme? Do you live next to a prison or something?

I don't like my door unlocked either. It's not just because of potential criminal activity, but the neighborhood kid walking in looking for you, or your mother in law while you are 'busy' are other good reasons IMO ;)

We keep our doors locked all the time too. Makes it easier when leaving the house - we know they are already locked...

Plus one of my wifes biggest fears is someone sneaking in the house while she's home (she watched too many horror movies as a kid)

Steve said:
There are many people 'on the fence' between UPB and Insteon and IMHO its mostly because of the aggressive pricing Smarthome has used to seed the market. Word on the street is that early next year Smarthome will be raising prices back up.
Where did you see the tip on this price increase? Any more details on when and how much?

JohnBullard said:
...So please don't forsake the cat for that big deer...;)
Don't worry about that...I wouldn't be spending hours designing custom modules for the Ocelot if I were planning on giving it up!

But I do think that the Ocelot-Elk combo has the potential for being one killer of a setup, so my next custom project will probably be something that aims at fully integrating the two. Both systems have interesting (and expandable) I/O capabilities, both are programmed with ladder logic, and each one is really good at what it does!

Plus, a lot of Elk buyers already have an Ocelot, so the interest in integrating the two should be high, especially in this serious HA hobbyist crowd!

Guy,

OK, your statute in my "Guy Lavoie Shrine" is safe for now.

Look forward to seeing what you are able to do with the two of them.

upstatemike said:
Steve said:
There are many people 'on the fence' between UPB and Insteon and IMHO its mostly because of the aggressive pricing Smarthome has used to seed the market. Word on the street is that early next year Smarthome will be raising prices back up.
Where did you see the tip on this price increase? Any more details on when and how much?
Here's a lesson in Microsoft economics for you.

If your competitor has a product with more features, if the simplicity of design allows him to sell it for less, if he's got a relationship with the second largest retailer in the country already, and if you fear that he's going to capture market share, hit 'em with FUD--fear, uncertainty and doubt.

Fear--you should be afraid of a price increase. You should be so afraid of a rumor of a possible price increase that you should just go ahead and pay twice as much for a different product today. Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.

Uncertainty--sure, Insteon is a newer protocol. Sure, it's less expensive. Sure, it's reliable. But what does the future hold? GASP! The way I see it, in the future we'll be seeing MORE automation technologies, not less. What's the market? How many million homes in America and the world are not currently automated? I'd say that's easily a big enough market to support three or four HA alternatives, and we already have bridging products to allow different protocols to work with each other. Strong competition will continue to drive prices lower and spur innovation and new products.

Doubt--will Smarthome EVER release Insteon software and a computer interface that allows re-writing link databases remotely, and allows downloading timers and macros to the interface to run independent of a computer? They can design the protocol from scratch, they build all that hardware, and you doubt they can put some software together? Ha! Software development is notorious for taking longer than expected, especially when you allow base hardware firmware redesigns based on developer improvement feedback. I consider a company willing to listen and respond to user feedback a GOOD thing. They're taking their time and getting it right. It'll happen.

[ /SOAPBOX ]

Tom

Back