Insteon Switch wont turn off

Digger

Last night I had an Icon that would no longer turn off. I removed the paddle and tried the little button switch etc many times and no luck. I had to shut the power off and replace the switch.

I called SH today to exchange the switch instead of adding it to the pile if ICONS that dont link etc. I was told I would have to deal with tech support and reinstall the switch so they could walk me through "troubleshooting". That was not going to happen I very clearly stated to the CS Rep.

After I explained to him the constant problems with the Insteon devices in my house and others that I hear about and that this appears to be a known problem he was actually VERY NICE and agreed to just exchange the switch.

To give credit where credit is due I think that the CS Rep used good judgement and was accomadating after he realized the frustration level.

I have some others that are in process of failing (you have to press them many times to turn on or off). He said when I am ready to replace them to give him a call and he will make it as painless as possible.

For the non linking switches I think they want to troubleshoot. I guess I cant blame them for that.

Hmm, I had that on a full relay switch and it got swapped out no problem. This was a few months back. Personally I'm swapping out the few icons I have now for regular switches. The icon's (at least the ones I got) seem flakey and not consistent. I have one in the garage that I never can tell if it is going to turn on or not.

Now these were close to the original ones that were released so it may be issues that have been fixed, I have switched to buying the switchlinc versions and getting the seven year warranty. I figured it was not that much of a savings if I had an issue after two years and had to replace them, and given that this was a new product line...

Tech support is instructed to capture as much information about SmartLabs Design products before returning them as possible. It may seem like a hassle but in the end it helps us improve our products. The more information our users can provide the better. All comments appreciated

I tried installing two Icon's in a virtual three way mode. They are both on the same breaker only about 6 feet from each other (top and bottom of a half staircase). They are directly wired to each other and one controls the load and the other is the "virtual slave". The virtual slave has the red wire capped off.

I tried linking them about 4 times and they just wont link. This is just typical. And yes I have linked switches before.

I also linked the control switch to the elk with the Powerhome "ELKINSTEON" program and the switch does not respond to the ELK Serial PLC which is a mere 18 inches away from the control switch and also on the same circuit. I found both of these switches in a drawer today in unopened boxes (I have a bigger closet than IVB I think).

SmartLabsMike said:
Tech support is instructed to capture as much information about SmartLabs Design products before returning them as possible. It may seem like a hassle but in the end it helps us improve our products. The more information our users can provide the better. All comments appreciated
Mike,

Thanks for staying on the board. It's appreciated, as many Insteon users frequent Cocoontech more than Techmall.

Perhaps one thing that could help would be to have tech support differentiate a bit between someone who has little experience with HA (perhaps they have just a few switches, no PC control, etc.) and users who know a bit more. I recall having a support person tell me to remove a switch that had stopped responding to local control, shake it a few times, and reinstall it because "the springs can settle and stretch during shipping". I laughed, until I realized he was serious. I actually had to end up doing it, and ended up returning the switch, of course (not being cereal or corn chips, there was no "settling during shipment").

I was very unhappy with SH for quite a while over my Insteon equipment, but have been much happier in recent months. Please continue the training of tech support. It will go a long way to keeping us loyal to SmartLabs equipment (Insteon AND others...).

To elaborate futher my post above was my second call yesterday to SH. The first call the CS Rep told me I was out of luck if I didnt want to re-install the switch and allow their tech support to walk me through fixing the problem (I SERIOUSLY doubt that they would have been able to "fix" the problem with a switch that no longer turned off). The second time I called I was lucky and got a supervisor (just by chance) and after he heard the whole story he was very helpful.

My problem today is a linking problem and I can understand SH wnating their tech guys to give it a shot but I HATE the wasted time. Since I was on hold for a few minutes and already very frustrated I just hung up. I will try another day when I am less frustrated and the wait isnt so long.

If these devices would work I think that SH could make a lot of money. I have 4 more on order trying to get about 16 or more installed since rumours have it 16 is the magic number for reliability. Its a gamble (and not a cheap one) and if it doenst work you will see them all on eBay and I will pick a different manufacturer. I am very tired of having to replace switches or having to push the paddle multiple times etc etc. And now I have a 3 way circuit that doesnt work (WAF is VERYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY low since the conventional switches worked perfectly for 7 years). I have another 3 way circuit working well with Insteon so I know it can be done if the devices would work.

Digger-

I don't know how closely related the Insteon switches are with the Switchlinc x-10 switches (I think 2380), but I have had a bunch fail the same way that you talked about. Did you circuit have several can lights on it?

I finally got tired of replacing the switches, and switched to UPB

Steve

SmartLabsMike said:
Tech support is instructed to capture as much information about SmartLabs Design products before returning them as possible. It may seem like a hassle but in the end it helps us improve our products.
I get that for issues like a switch not linking. But by now, EVERYONE at SH/SL from the floor sweeper all the way up to Joe, Rajeev and Dan should know there is a major issue with button press failures. Having a button not repsond to presses is frustrating enough, but having to deal with a script makes it worse.

Also, switches don't always fail during SH's CS hours. So if you have a switch that won't turn on/off, you may have to replace it immediately. To ask a customer to reinstall a switch with a KNOWN defect is poor customer service IMHO.

How many more button press failures does SH/SL need before they can get working on a solution?

I don't know how closely related the Insteon switches are with the Switchlinc x-10 switches (I think 2380), but I have had a bunch fail the same way that you talked about. Did you circuit have several can lights on it?

I finally got tired of replacing the switches, and switched to UPB

Yes the cirucit has about 8 high hats with 15 watt CFL Floods in them.

Also, switches don't always fail during SH's CS hours. So if you have a switch that won't turn on/off, you may have to replace it immediately. To ask a customer to reinstall a switch with a KNOWN defect is poor customer service IMHO.

That is why I ended the call with the first CS Rep and called back. Thank god I got the supervisor by chance who realized my point about reinstalling a switch for a known problem. I also mentioned that I was on cocoontech and that other people have seen the same problem and returned the switches. The guy was actually really nice in the end since he realized it was not the first problem I have had and it was obviously going to need to be returned anyway.

The problem at SH is NOT the individual people. It the policies etc that they have to follow. A supervisor I gues can make the judgement call that this guy did. The first CS Rep was not a supervisor and I guess not impowered to make a call like that.

I do need to fix the non linking problems and fast. My wife has had it with these switches and wants me to rip them out and give up on the lighting automation.

She does however love the ELK :lol:

FWIW:

I have several Icons that I have used in the X10 mode for many months now and they work fine.

I suspect the problems are with the Insteon part. Reading all the posts of problems with the Insteons, I have come to the conclusion that Insteon is "not read for prime time". I would suggest that to avoid the frustration that Insteon use be deferred for another generation.

Cliff s

cliffs said:
I suspect the problems are with the Insteon part.
Actually its not the Insteon part. From the developer side, Insteon can be a PITA, but once something is linked it works great.

The problem is very poor switch build quality. SH is trying to hit a price point and the only way to do that is to get as cheap of parts as possible. The parts are failing. First it was the resistor in early models. That was replaced with a better one, LED's change colors due to different suppliers (read as chasing the cheapest). The build quality also has suffered as some dimmers didn't get enough glue on a spring than can cause it to vibrate and produce an audible buzz.

IF SH licensed out the technology to say a Leviton or Cooper (Oops they both went Z-wave) or any other reputable switch manufacturer, I would replace every switch in my house on my dime. Or at the very least come out with a high end version made with better parts.

Back