Intelliflow pump RS485 protocol

Sorry for the delay. I'm limited to one post a day.

I have the Pentair Variable Speed Pool Pump that has a dim display and thought this would be a great project.
Just want to double check everything.

1 I know the 2 pins to connect to the RS485>usb board.       https://www.ftdichip.com/Products/Cables/USBRS4

2  raspberry pi  is a stand alone pc with wireless to connect to my iphone? 

3 Does it matter which raspberry pi to get?

4. Latest software to run the pi.

Thanks in advance. n0xd

Hi n0xd,

You are good on number 1 and 2, although not all Raspberry Pi models have WiFi. The latest is the Raspberry 4, but its advantages over the 3 family is mainly the addition of newer video standards. I think you will get the best support with the Pi 3B+. I use a few of the 3B and 3B+ versions, but all for video. I'm using a Beaglebone for my Pentair VF, which is another small cheap single-board computer. It's similar to the Pi, but is geared more toward industrial control, whereas the Pi is geared more toward multimedia.

I would suggest the latest version of Raspian (the Pi's version of Debian Linux) for the operating system, as I believe that most, if not all of the software on this board will run on it (but I haven't tried it myself). Then try the different pump-control code on this board, as it will be a matter of preference which will work for you. Others would be better at describing the ins and outs of what is here.

Hi NoxD.

Agreed with above post, although in my experience the pump room is a fairly noisy environment. I had WiFi there initially and changed everything to hardwired Ethernet. Solved all comm problems. The communication with the Pentair doesn't require much computing power, so even the most basic one will do.

Please post your chosen solution.

Cheers

Good point. I'm hardwired as well, so I can't attest to WiFi issues in the pump room. I prefer to hard-wire whenever I can, but mainly for bandwidth issues.
TriLife said:
. . . in my experience the pump room is a fairly noisy environment. I had WiFi there initially and changed everything to hardwired Ethernet. Solved all comm problems. . .

So, since I initially posted I have not gotten far.
I was trying to make use of the jnode stuff off git, but found out that all assumes you already have a control panel system talking to the pump and it just works through that (like an intelliflo controller).

My situation is different, I just have the pump and want to control it from the Pi.
I have not yet got communication from the Pi to the Pump working (nor have I had much time to debug it).

As for which Pi to use, as others suggested 3B is good, but really any Pi will work with the latest OS.
I do not  yet have a program that runs on the Pi that does the control, but that is my goal.

Doug.

Ok , here is my one allowed post for the day.

I ordered the RS-485 USB adapter from amazon. It will be here tomorrow.

Since I only want to control the motor speed and schedule would I be better going with the arduino UNO  or just go with the pi3?

I'm familiar with the Uno. But it would be fun to learn the pi.

Also could I run the 2 wire cable into my office and plug the RS485 adapter into my pc and run a VM with Linux for testing?

Thanks for helping I need a project bad.

Hi n0xd,

I'm not familiar with the Arduinos, but I don't see any reason why they would not work as well.

As far as controlling it from your office, if the drivers, receivers and cable are to spec, RS485 should be good to 4000 feet, maybe even further with the pump's low baud-rate. But the two ends of the cable need to be properly terminated. That simply requires putting a 100 to 120 ohm resistor across the two wires at each end, with no branches in the cabling. When the cables are relatively short and the baud-rate relatively low, then the terminator resistors can be considered optional (although you are then technically out of spec).

I don't recall if the pump has a terminating resistor built-in or not. I suspect that the adapter has one built-in, but you should verify. Many RS485 devices have a switch to switch the terminator in or out.

mark

Hi NoxD,

Yes, tue Arduino is probably fine, especially, if you're familiar with it.

You didn't specify distance from pump to office, but it should be ok. Pentair runs at 9600 baud, if I'm not mistaken. Use a shielded twisted pair to make sure...

And if you're going to do arduino, please make sure to post your final code... I'm very interested...

I biggest downside to the Pi is the fact they still use a SD card.  These cards are prone to corruption when power is lost unexpectedly.  So you either have to put the Pi on a battery backup, or run the high risk of corrupting the card during a power loss which means the board won't boot correctly until you reinstall everything on the card.  

So if at all possible, I would definitely suggest using something that runs the OS off ROM storage or a physical harddrive instead of a SD card.

Waiting for my pi3 to arrive today. Then start figuring all this out. I have a good understanding up till the pi. Looks to be a good project. I'm a retired tech from the PO and live in SW FL.

nOxD,

Like you I am limited to 1 message a day still.

As others have said any Pi will work, 3B seems a good choice.
I have a few different ones and the 3B is what I think I will end up using.

The Pi OS is simple to get installed, especially if you are already conversant in Linux.
There is lots of great support and HowTos out there for the Pi.

As for talking to the Intelliflo Pump, there are other threads elsewhere, some have suggested that Arduino is easier and might be a better fit, but I like the idea of doing it all with the Pi. The rs485 is not native to the Pi, but the support for the different dongles (usb to 485) is good.

Personally I have not gotten mine connected yet, mostly due to time. It did not work right out of the box (neither Pi nor a windows terminal program) so I need some debug there. Might need to put a termination resistor on the 485, but that requires hooking up a scope to look at what is actually happening on the bus. 

Do let me know if you get something working, seems like it should be straight forward, but life never is.

Thanks,

Doug.

Hello all.  Ok I got my first Pi3 running.  Anyway got the pi loaded and getting towards the end I think. Just have to work out these issues.  I loaded Putty on my main PC.  Back to reading.

Attachments

• IMG_2909.JPG
    IMG_2909.JPG
    49.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2911.JPG
    IMG_2911.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 10
Good evening from Medellín Colombia.

Any progress on the Arduino/RPi comms with the Intelliflo?

My pool/water management system is currently on an Arduino Mega and the Pentair on the ScreenLogic.

Trying to move forward with combining the two systems, but haven't decided which way to go...

A MKR1010 would get me the cloud support (until fibre dies), an RPI would make the GUI much easier...

If I don't have to fight with the Intelliflo comms, that would send me in the right direction... I don't what to debug that part of the program in a pump room; noisy, humid, and far from the beer fridge!

Cheers

Buenos Dias

I have not had much luck getting direct communication from RPI to the Inteliflo set up.
I was working on it late last year, but then got on to other projects an have not got back to it.

I did learn that anyone who is currently using a Pi (at least from what i understood) is also using some other system (Usually a Pentair board) to actually do the pump communication (i.e. they are not going direct from RPi to Inteliflo pump).

That was my goal.

TriLife said:
Good evening from Medellín Colombia.

Any progress on the Arduino/RPi comms with the Intelliflo?

Back