IOS Cam viewer apps

mikefamig

What is your favorite IP camera viewer app for IOS? I have been using IP Cam Viewer Pro but don't like that I have to configure each camera twice - once for LAN access and again for WAN access.

I would prefer a little more sophisticated app that can be configured by the user to try LAN and fail-over to WAN or visa versa. Otherwise it's a great app.

Mike.

I still use Haiku here, but wonder why you need to configure both WAN and LAN.  Do you have some security restriction that means your WAN setup doesn't work from inside your local LAN?  That works for me here...

cobra said:
I still use Haiku here, but wonder why you need to configure both WAN and LAN.  Do you have some security restriction that means your WAN setup doesn't work from inside your local LAN?  That works for me here...
I have a very poor cell signal at my home and I also have a data limit on my cell plan.

Mike.

mikefamig said:
I have a very poor cell signal at my home and I also have a data limit on my cell plan.

Mike.
I still don't see why this is a limitation?

WAN setup has no special setup related to cellular here.

From a Haiku perspective, you just use the IP address of your external device. You can normally connect to this from cellular or from your internal wifi/Ethernet. So using the WAN settings all the time works here.

The only time you should need to use an internal IP is for testing purposes if your external interface is not configured or down.

May I just say... use a VPN. You'll have no IP issues as it will always use the internal IP and you will gain more security in the process.

cobra said:

From a Haiku perspective, you just use the IP address of your external device. You can normally connect to this from cellular or from your internal wifi/Ethernet. So using the WAN settings all the time works here.

The only time you should need to use an internal IP is for testing purposes if your external interface is not configured or down.

I see what you are saying and i have gotten confused between choosing between the LAN  and WAN addressing and between  the WIFI and GSM connection in the past.

My problem is that the micro-cell is confusing the phone. I think that the phone is having a hard time choosing between the wifi and the micro-cell at some areas of the house and yard. Even when in the house I suspect that the micro-cell signal is as strong or stronger than the WIFI signal. I also don't think that the phone switches seamlessly between WIFI and M-cell. The symptom is that my cameras load slowly and don't stream well and I have trouble connecting the the Elk using Ekeypad.

Mike.

video321 said:
May I just say... use a VPN. You'll have no IP issues as it will always use the internal IP and you will gain more security in the process.

Does VPN require running a PC to connect to? I don't run a PC 7x24.

Mike.

cobra said:

You've overlooked that fact that I have a data limit and we have three people sharing 3gig. Normally 3gig is enough but the streaming cameras will use it up if I use WAN all of the time. I'm also home most of the the time so it makes more sense to use the LAN address.

Mike.

video321 said:
Not if your router has support.

I don't think that it does or at least I haven't seen any mention of it when looking around in there. It is an ARRIS NVG448BQ router.

EDIT - and don't ask why I bought an ARRIS router, I didn't. Frontier Cable owns it.

Mike.

Only after starting this message thread did I learn that my problem was the Iphone having trouble choosing between the WIFI and the M-cell. At least that is what I beliee at this point. As Cobra pointed out I should be able to just address the cams via their WAN address all of the time but my connection problems were confusing me.

I have since turned off the M-cell and turned on wifi-calling in my phone and that seems to work just as well as the M-cell so far. Time will tell.

Mike.

Nice. Yes, data and micro cell could be an issue. We use a T-Mobile micro-cell type device. I put it in the basement to limit its LTE footprint somewhat. Maybe you would benefit from a better wifi access point? Our iPhones stay on wifi with strong signal and only cell calls seem to use the cellular micro-cell.

I've been back and forth with wifi calling. We saw some issues with it while transitioning in and out of the house. They seem to be better with newer versions of iOS.

I don't think that I;ll have a problem with wifi calling roaming to cell service because I have two wifi access points which give me a strong signal all over and I have very poor cell service. If I do have trouble I'll try putting the M-Cell in the basement.

Mike.

Back