One app to view differnet brand cameras

In my setup (ASUS N66 router - stock firmware), I use the Open VPN SERVER to connect securely TO my network (when I am away from it).

Then, when home (in my network), I use NordVPN CLIENT to change/hide my location when using various programs (think Kodi streaming). 

You can't really use both at once (I just tried this from work.....I open VPN'ed to home (server), and then turned on Nord VPN (client) ...but that messed up my inbound connection).

Both have their "use" purposes, but as I see it, just not at the same time....

Off Topic - Apologies:
BSR - question for you.  I used to be able to SSH into my Asus router and send command line instructions.  Stuff like  "service start_vpnclient1" or "service stop_vpnclient1".
With a recent ASUS firmware upgrade, command line instruction no longer work (you have to use the web GUI only - as told to me by ASUS support).

Can you tell me if the Merlin DD-WRT firmware STILL allows for the command line control of start/stopping the VPN clients?  If so, I will ditch the stock firmware for MERLIN.

BraveSirRobbin said:
Mike.  I also use OpenVPN on both an IPhone and Andriod.  I have an Asus RT-AC88U router and downloaded the Asus Merlin firmware on it.

I can see all of my internal cameras using their 192.168.1.xxx addresses.

One thing to note.  I noticed you were thinking about NordVPN.  Not sure how this would work when you wanted to connect via OpenVPN to your home (am I overthinking this?)

the way I understand it with Nordvpn and similar services your pc is a client to their VPN server. Their server hides your identity as you surf the web. All of your activity goes from you to them in a tunnel and then from their server it goes out to the web. Everything that you do traces back to them and not you.

Putting VPN on your own router makes the router a VPN server and your mobile device is the client that logs into it. This only hides traffic between your mobile device and your router.

Mike.
EDIT - As I said I am just trying to learn this stuff so please correct me if I'm wrong. Does the router VPN also encrypt all of your web access from your LAN?

mikefamig said:
Thanks but I know nothing about the PI and it looks like more studying and learning than I want to do right now. What is the advantage of adding the PI device?

I looked at the Windows install instructions for Nord and it is very simple.

Mike.

Benefit is that it is standalone and much easier to manage, dedicated function, no CPU impact on Router function.  BSR mentioned Asus Merlin, as noted in other thread have used that in the past but abandon due to hardware failure and exceeding the CPU capacity of consumer routers.

batwater said:
Benefit is that it is standalone and much easier to manage, dedicated function, no CPU impact on Router function.  BSR mentioned Asus Merlin, as noted in other thread have used that in the past but abandon due to hardware failure and exceeding the CPU capacity of consumer routers.

I understand now. That all sounds good with the exception that I know nothing about the Rasperry PI. What command language is used at the $ prompt that is mentioned in the setup instructions that you linked to?

I was also looking at building an ITX based machine someday.

Mike.

Pi is running raspbian which is a flavor of Linux.  OpenVPN can also be set up on Windows but it requires significantly compromising the firewall rules in Windows and it was more overhead than it was worth.  I would have preferred to not have a different OS running but this is a turnkey solution that is self contained and I don't have to worry about M$ patching headaches. 

Back