Irregular Home Theater Room Shape - Will I Have Audio Issues?

Neurorad said:
Hehe, popcorn at hand, awaiting jautor's response...

For a home theater, drywall will win, sorry DEL.

Of course, hat channel or whisper clips are used for the double drywall ceiling, with R19 or rock wool above.

I doubt a drywall ceiling would be allowed in a commercial space.
No reason why drywall would not be allowed in a commercial space with a blank slate with a large budget to get it done correctly. Just witnessed this in the last 3 larger projects I was involved in (state university VPA and the local NBC and CBS studios and a refit of Trod Nossel studioa) and their design requirements exceeded what a home theater would require, let alone the architectural and design elements.

Didn't see any mention of how the drywall was going to be installed, isolated, how any ductwork or similar was going to be isolated, etc.

To do it "right" using drywall it's going to cost 2-3X of a normal ceiling with insulation or similar.

Here locally I have only seen media rooms configured in basements with 9-10 foot poured cement walls (they also function as storm shelters in sections).  They have all be combinations using that "sports" bar motif with one main large LCD and smaller LCDs hung from the ceiling.  Sound is related to volume rather than effect.  Here with one neighbor I suggested a drop ceiling and they went with drywall ceilings. 

The neighbors main floor toilet got stuffed with too much toilet paper afterwards (guess sometimes kids do that) and it flooded down to the basement media room damaging part of a wood floor / drywall ceiling (large part of it).  I have seen this a few times here with same issues from 2nd floor bathrooms down to main floor and main floor bathrooms down to finished basements.  A drop ceiling in the basement repair would have been a bit more cost effective.

Once again I appreciate all the advice/feedback/comments.  What I'm really concerned about is the v-shaped back wall (rather than a perfect rectangle).  A local HT company thought it might be a problem unless I used more "expensive" speakers.  I could square up my back wall but I'd lose about 1/3 the length and thought it would be great to put a small high-top sports table to eat on.

I double checked and the room dimensions are 12' wide by 20' long (however the V starts about 8' from the back wall).  I attached the original again...
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:6615]

The ceiling material isn't going to matter for the less than half a dozen times the room will get used for movie watching anyway.

I have seen this too many times. History repeats itself. The AV dealers win every time.

First, "Expensive" speakers will not overcome room issues. I've seen that first hand and have the measurements with a $1300 measurement mic to prove it.

Second, I don't see the V being a problem, from an audio perspective it might even perform better than a rectangular rear wall that would be more reflective. The main issue I see is that you may need to hang your rear speakers from the ceiling and many don't like that but that is exactly how I'm running in my living room "theater" and works well. If you want to keep the V, just put a good amount of treatments on the sides and at the rear V, make one heck of a thick "bass" trap from floor to ceiling to make sure bass doesn't overwhelm coming into that V and back into the room.

The 12' X 20' - 8' "V" section lets you do more with sound easier to create a sort of enveloping contained audio area. 

IE: rectangular off the 8' section and make the "V" an automous entertainment  "high-top sports table" with speakers on the back facing the guests with a smaller LCD going on a diagonally across the "V" section.

Just playing a bit with the drawing.  You can also maybe shift the room 180 degrees such that the bathroom is in the back of the media room and the front is where the V section is.

mediaroom.jpg

I want to know more about these "expensive" speakers that they recommend... that would fix any problems relating to room dimensions. Such as, what technology are these speakers using that fix the possible acoustic issues?

drvnbysound said:
I want to know more about these "expensive" speakers that they recommend... that would fix any problems relating to room dimensions. Such as, what technology are these speakers using that fix the possible acoustic issues?
Pretty sure the high-end Bose can handle any room with one speaker bar and a bass module. :D That covers the "expensive" speaker.

dgage said:
Pretty sure the high-end Bose can handle any room with one speaker bar and a bass module. :D That covers the "expensive" speaker.

Thanks so much! I just ordered the Wave Radio III based on your recommendation. :rockon:   

In all seriousness, I just realized what would fix room acoustics - headphones!

Here in one room using 7.1 surround sound I have changed speakers a few times over the years.  (last 4-5). 

The only speakers that stayed were the in ceiling ones.  Front center, right and left, rear left and right and subwoofer are different (purchased sets swapping this and that).

Other set ups have in wall 5.1 speakers and these have been left alone.

I very much doubt that guests know of or even pay attention to what speakers/acoustics are utilized. 

Totally different for a commercial endeavor.

Back