Jasco WiFi Toggle Switch Experience

BraveSirRobbin

My neighbors want to control outdoor floodlights with their phones and have the older 'toggle' style switches. Does anyone have experience with these JASCO WiFi toggle switches? I realize they only use the 2.4Ghz WiFi network, but that should work. They don't want a full-blown automation system, only phone control of their outdoor floodlights.

They only need one switch to control their outdoor floodlighting.

Thanks for any input.

BSR

2.4ghz is going to be the most common with wi-fi switches. There is no need for 5ghz speed, and the 2.4ghz bands broadcasts farther and is less prone to being blocked by objects/walls. Therefore 2.4ghz is more preferable IMHO.

I would suggest sticking with something that already has the third party firmware Tasmota installed on the switch. Tasmota is really nice and removes all the negatives of a wifi switch IMHO. There is no "cloud" support needed (or internet access at all), but still t's easy to integrate with Alexa, etc, etc,. I use switches from Martin Jerry and have been very happy with them. More importantly, they now sell switches with Tasmota already installed on them. (I had to manually flash it on the switches I bought).

For example, we have a back patio where we grill, etc. We primarily access it from a sliding glass door off our Den. But the actual light switch to control the patio lights is located at another exterior door that is several rooms away. It is super convenient to say "Alexa, turn on(off) the rear patio lights" from the Den so we don't have to walk around to the other exit.

EDIT - as with most "smart" switches, these switches do require a neutral wire to work correctly.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it very much. Good ideas. I do have two issues though.

One is I need the older 'rocker' style switch as this is going into a three gang switch box where the other switches will remain their original rocker style.

Two is I don't want to have any 'hub' and just need access via an Android phone.

Thanks,

BSR

Another option is Shelly - very inexpensive and very reliable. The Shelly 1 series of wifi modules can be hooked up to a new momentary (or the original) toggle switch for manual control; it can store and run an internal schedule for automated time-of-day on/off; and it can be controlled via a phone app.

Back