JDS Stargate to Support UPB

Stinger

I know there aren't too many Stargate users out there that aren't already subscibed to the JDSusers mail list, but just in case, this info was taken from the list:

<snip>
----- Original Message -----
To: [email protected]
Sent: Sunday, September 25, 2005 5:53 PM
Subject: Re: [ JDS-USERS ] UPB/Stargate update

Group:

We are in the process of adding UPB support to Stargate. The first release will utilize Stargate's com port #3 connected to a Serial-to-UPB powerline interface module (PIM), to provide two-way UPB control. However, due to the additional memory requirements, the UPB firmware version will only function with Stargate-Lite (Stargates without the telephony board). Ultimately we are hoping to develop an RS485 interface to handle the UPB traffic and leave com port 3 available for other purposes. But until another solution is developed, this will at least accommodate Stargate-Lite customers.

For customers with Stargates who don't want to sacrifice the telephony functions, a different (though less elegant) approach for UPB is still possible for controlling a moderate number of UPB devices. This entails adding ASCII events for each UPB device (following the UPB protocol) for on, off and dim level commands, also requiring a Serial-to-UPB PIM connected to Stargate's com 3.

Over the past two years, with the growing popularity of more affordable and flexible telephone services such as cellular and VoIP, we have seen a noticable decrease in the demand for land line telephony functions. We have also seen a tremendous increased demand for web/network-enabled control and touchscreen interfaces. Consequently, we will be discontinuing the telephony board on future Stargates and replacing it with the Web Xpander (network interface) and several user interface software options, including Pocket WebX and the soon to be released HomeRunner (date to be announced). Details will soon be posted on our website.

Messages directed to me, especially those expecting a reply, should be sent to [email protected] or [email protected]. I try to follow the user-group messages as time permits but specific questions or requests should always be sent via direct email.

Jeff Stein
JDS Technologies

<end snip>

That's great news, thanks for posting! How many serial ports does the Stargate support?

No, it's not great news. Stargate has 3 serial ports. Many Stargate users already use them all.

But the real problem is giving up the phone/speech board. That has been one of the strengths of SG - it's the reason I paid extra for a SG. Without that, it's comparable to Homevision or ADI. I hope he comes up with another solution.

There may also be negative implications for compatibility with HomeSeer if he goes the RS485 route.

Sometimes, change is not good. We'll see.

Mark

Back