Keypads as MBR Panic Buttons?

I don't have a keypad in the room, but I have an always-on tablet PC on my nightstand running ElkRM, which is just as good as a keypad, with the added benefit that I can access any of my webcams from there as well.

Wireless keyfobs all the way!

These work in the yard, every room, cheap and stupid easy to install.

True, but keyfobs won't tell you where a problem occurred.

When I arm my security system in stay mode (for the night) I have my voice announcement tell me where the security fault is. For instance if it is the Den Window I have an alarm wave file go off first, then the voice announcements saying "Den Window Security Fault" twice. This is said during the entry delay, which is a very short time. This way I know where the security fault is right away. If the computer fails I still have the security system alarms going off after the entry delay. I also control the house lighting based on a security fault.

NX-474 is my personal favorite.

The Panic Button is a water-resistant wireless device used for activating police, medical, or auxiliary alarms throughout the premises. When the panic button is pressed, the LED mounted under the front cover will blink and an alarm signal is transmitted

wireless panic button that can be worn as a bracelet, pendant, wall mounted, or worn on a belt clip. :blink:

NX-474 is my personal favorite.

The Panic Button is a water-resistant wireless device used for activating police, medical, or auxiliary alarms throughout the premises. When the panic button is pressed, the LED mounted under the front cover will blink and an alarm signal is transmitted

wireless panic button that can be worn as a bracelet, pendant, wall mounted, or worn on a belt clip. :blink:

That's a hard piece to find any info or pictures on....How does it differ from the NX-470?

When I arm my security system in stay mode (for the night) I have my voice announcement tell me where the security fault is. For instance if it is the Den Window I have an alarm wave file go off first, then the voice announcements saying "Den Window Security Fault" twice. This is said during the entry delay, which is a very short time. This way I know where the security fault is right away. If the computer fails I still have the security system alarms going off after the entry delay. I also control the house lighting based on a security fault.

Hi, BraveSirRobbin, Could you explain how you set this up, including the elk rules?

Thanks
Mark

I would upgrade the golf clubs to either:
1) Shotgun - nothing makes a perp wanna' run faster than hearing the slide in a pump shotgun (shck-shck)
or, if you are opposed to firearms,
2) Baseball bat - a GC will hurt a lot, but I think you'll have better results with a bat

gk

Anyway, my lessons learned are:
- keypad in MBR has already proven to be a *very* valuable thing, and the wife is now very happy that it is there. Seriously, she high-fived me and said "ok, THAT was a good idea."
- variety of speakers throughout the house are also good, as it can undoubtedly alert any intruder as to detection
- Having a "process" that me/wife understand and agree to in event of issue is also good.
- 2 golf clubs in the MBR is a good idea, so I don't have to grab the steak knife en-route to the point of intrusion

Hi, BraveSirRobbin, Could you explain how you set this up, including the elk rules?

Mark;

I don't own an Elk, I have a GE Caddx NX8e that is tied to my HomeSeer system/computer. I simply made a series of events in HomeSeer based on the zone with a "condition" that the system is armed.

Mark;

I don't own an Elk, I have a GE Caddx NX8e that is tied to my HomeSeer system/computer. I simply made a series of events in HomeSeer based on the zone with a "condition" that the system is armed.

Ok, Great I am also running homeseer, but with a elk, I think I would still be able to setup something similar to what you are doing, how do you have events setup in homeseer?

Thanks
Mark

Back