Large Screen Display with Built In PC

joe39562

I recently found a new line of displays by VU.  They come in 40", 55", and 65".  There were designed for conference rooms, video conferencing, etc. but they have the option of being a touch screen as well which throws them into the automation world.  I found the spec sheets on http://palmtreeengineering.com/products.html 

I3 processor, 500gb hard drive, win 8.1, 4gb ram, includes wireless keyboard and mouse

They seem to be priced relatively good ~$1600 for 40"   
Seems to be a product from India which is probably why the price is lower

Seem like they would work great for programs like homeseer or security cameras and such.  It be pretty impressive looking too.

Any other opinions?

bigtouch.jpg

Neato touchscreen TV  

I think its a great idea for presentations type of stuff and that the PC module is autonomous and not built into the TV.

Mixing touch and waving your hands about and using speech input would be a neato navigation tool for presentations.  (say with kinect and touch and speech recognition)

I like the idea way better than the integrated cutesy smart TV thing; unless its on a little HDMI dongle. 

Not so sure on the Home automation piece. 

I have though run Homeseer Touch on my LCD TV's just fine using Android, Wintel and Linux. 

It works fine and looks neato when its a big screen. 

Building in automation to say XBMC looks way better. I can today replicate an XBMC screen with HSTouch.

I only though touched them with IR/Blue tooth/RF remote control which worked fine a couple of years ago.

I did post my HSTouch on the big screen pictures (on Homeseer forum)  when I played with it. 

I like weather and was a nice large view of weather maps (and the CCTV stuff was nice in HD)

Most of the testing though (and due to WAF) was my office LCD TV which is almost 40" in size and mounted near the ceiling for a better view in the office.

I would though have to climb on a chair or ladder to touch the screen.

Unrelated / related / off on a bit of a tangent....

I have car PCs which display on the HU's of the cars which are not touch screens but input is mapped to the radio knobs (and joysick stuff).  I did test (many years ago) a mobile phone remote application which turned my phone into a sort of touch pad such that I could remote control the HU screen.  This did work well with the automobile automation stuff cuz I could leave the phone in a horizontal position; not really having to look at it; but rather navigate the HU screen with only touching the cell phone in a touch pad fashion.  Today also remote car pc via the little navigation buttons on the steering wheel.  Putting a small touch pad on the steering wheel would be a neato navigation tool and easy to get to without looking at it.  I have been able to navigate well using that little round joystick like input tool.  (its really just a little joystick knob though).   Personally like this way to navigate an HU screen way over a touch screen methodology (well just for the automobile HU/PC stuff).

navigationknob.jpg

Same application (touch pad) would work fine with a large LCD TV (thinking that its already being done anyways).

I stay away from all-in-one devices because when one function of it dies it is usually cheaper to replace the entire system than to repair it. You also can not upgrade one function without replacing  the entire unit. Stereo equipment is a good example of this. The low quality all-in-one units are disposable but high performance audio equipment is usually designed as individual custom matched components.

Mike.

Back