Leviton RF Installer Toolkit v1.1.1.0 crashes frequently

ddennerline

My VRUSB+3 stick got cranked backwards and USB connector separated from board. You have to very careful walking around the house so you don’t jab the VRUSB against a door as it sticks out 3 inches.
I ordered a new stick. It appears that Leviton has changed VRUSB+3. The exterior is different, the light is green, and light is recessed. I don’t know if firmware interior has changed.

This USB stick will only work with Leviton Installer Toolkit 1.1.1.0. Versions older than this will not recognize the USB stick.

This version of the toolkit crashes quite frequently. Apparently, Leviton knows about this issue. They have been less then helpful with all my requests. Basically my lighting network is not working correctly due to instability.

Second, Leviton has deleted the VRUSB+3 19 virtual buttons, so you cannot assign specific “areas” to specific button identifiers. If you attempt their CNTL+SHIFT+B workaround, a crash ensues. Without the 19 virtual buttons figuring out the GroupID to enter into ElkRP is difficult. Basically group synchronization functionality in VRC0P+3 is broken too. Whenever I try to execute a group command from M1XSLZW, all my lights in house turn on/off. I know that secondary controller synchronization must be working at some level because the same area can be correctly controlled from a 4-button scene controller.

Lastly, my locks now refuse to be manipulated by VRC0P+3. They enroll correctly. HyperTerminal will not communicate with them. About the only RFITv1.1.1.0 improvement I can see is that locks can now be locked/unlocked from device screen. The odd thing with Kwikset locks can be manipulated using new lock/unlock button from RFITv1.1.1.0. Locking was working correctly with older RFIT and VRUSB+3.

Has anybody else had similar experience if they rebuilt network using latest versions of RFIT and VRUSB+3?

Several times Leviton phone technicians said they would call me back, and I no callback/status update is returned - very disappointing. It's not like a bought a $100 router. Basically, I have a non-working multi-thousand dollar lighting system.

I too am having constant crashes.
I do not know of any way to even tell the version of the USB Stick.

Guess I have to re-program network and use something else as a primary.

Any suggestions?

Frankly, Z-Wave and the tools suck!

Leviton technical support indicated to me that RF Installer Toolkit v1.1.1.0 has introduced some defects that cause UI crashes. To fix, you can send in your configuration file, and technical support will run tool that realigns file to prevent crashes.

To get both Kwikset locks working again with VRC0P+3, I used Hyperterminal and issued the DE (default) command and reflash the firmware. This magical step mentioned in forum post induce some black magic that seemed to fix the lock communication problem. Elk can now lock/unlock both doors.

As for the RFIT group/association missing over-the-air synchronization feature, I used HyperTerminal to create/save GS (Group Store) node lists inside EPOM without RFIT.

d.dennerline

Thanks for the tips with the hyperterm.  As I mentioned elsewhere, the leviton installer tool is pretty much unusable.

I also agree with jim that there is no good controller for zwave network.

However, with all those negatives, my small network has been pretty stable since 2008. Only one dimmer failed the other day (after 5 years), an old ha-03c.

Vizia RF + Installer Tool - ver. 1.1.2.0 is available as of 10/19/2013. I just installed and ran some brief tests. The GUI crashes have disappeared when clicking on nodes or using the “Get Network Information.”

Although attempting to enable the Associations>VRC0P+3>Virtual Buttons using Ctrl+Shift+B keystroke seems to still cause a crash. I was able to get the virtual buttons shown one time. When it did work, I believe the number of buttons has increased to 24 (from 19). Also, when I did get the virtual buttons dialog active, RFIT could correctly query all the manually (used HyperTerm GS commands) entered groups.

I can communicate with both locks without causing a crash also.

Perhaps some fellow users could annote this post with their experiences with latest version.

I've upgraded the installer to 1.1.2 just a minute ago, and the crashes I've experienced are gone.

I played with this update a bit last night on a temporary Zwave network I setup. It crashed once while I was updating my VRC0P but I think it was due to me getting click happy...Anyway it does seem a lot more stable than 1.1.1.0. :)

I just rebuilt my 50+ node network with the latest version. Works perfect including all of my locks. Not a single hiccup during the install. SJ

Thanks for updates. Did anyone else experience crashes when trying to enable VRC0P virtual group buttons screen and trying to build different groups?

SJHart, How many Z-Wave locks did you successfully re-install with this release?

If you are referring to the Ctrl+Shift+B that is supposed to display all the virtual buttons on the Serial Unit, then yes. It crashes every time for me.
I still have the "blue light" USB stick. I would love to know if there is a firmware update to that unit.

Thanks for update about virtual button, Ctrl+Shift+B,  crashes. For some unknown reason, this function was inadvertantly hidden/removed from UI.

My VRUSB is latest version with “Green” light.

I will attempt to contact Leviton and let them know about these crashes. Until this crash is resolved, the only work around is to use Hyperterminal and create your own permanent groups using GS command.

I made Leviton aware of the problem last week.  They couldn't recreate the problem in the lab, so I sent them a copy of my network file Monday, and also pointed them at this thread.  Hopefully we'll get some resolution after the holiday when they've had a chance to research further. 

I did notice one thing.  I rebuilt my network from scratch and was able to access the buttons with no problem.  However, once I closed the program and reopened it, it crashed from that point on.

Back