Looking for Softwares that measures the following

shaurya

Hello,

Looking for software that can measure & graph power consumed by the computer.
Kill-A-Watt shows the power consume by the PSU.
PSU probably never have an efficiency of 100% so some power gets lost.
I have an old computer (PIII Companq Deskpro EN SFF) and that I run 24x7 for torrents and would like to know if its worth changing the PSU.

Looking for software that can measure and graph the up/down bandwitdth for the comp mentioned above.
Looking for software KVM..Synergy only does KM not V. (must be free)
Looking for software that can let me control Motherboard parmeters such as PSU Fan/CPU fan etc...Basically I am trying to run this computer most efficiently

Regards,
Shaurya

SpeedFan lets you monitor and control fans & temps.

I don't think you will find anything to measure the power consumed by the computer, after the power supply, as that would require monitoring within the power supply to accommodate the various cable fanout to motherboards, cards & drives. the best answer is probably to measure the old supply, install a new supply (even temporarily) and measure the new supply, then compare.

Thanks WayneW for your response.

I have tried speedFan and it does measure Local/Remote/HDD temp. I am still playing with it. Do you have any first had exp with Speed Fan that you can share...Would it be possible to Underclock the CPU with SpeedFan. My Mobo does not provide this as its an old Mobo...

Any software you know of that measurs the bandwdith and graphs it for a period of time...
Also I am planning to install a Gigabit network adapter to this computer but not sure if Gigabit card is worth considering the age of the computer...

Few speces-

Compaq Deskpro EN SFF
P III 733MHz
512 MB SD ram
Intel 815E chipset
4x AGP
basic 100mbps network card
ATA66 HDD

Regards,
Shaurya

Most all power supply companies list their efficiency rating. Most are around 82% or so.

changing the CPU will probably give you more benefit of processing power vs. power usage. For example, a P4 variety was a power hog. A newer 2CoreDuo is much more efficient. Because of this, it also requires less cooling which means less fan which means less noise.

My guess is the exploration isn't worth the nickle. You have some pretty old stuff there. If it is meeting the use need, use it till it dies.

Thanks DavidL. I also concluded that its not worth enough but will paly at least for this weekend.
Thanks Damage. This site is great. Saved it to my fav. Will play with one High Eff PSU that I have and see how much I save.

By the way, just got my Kill-A-Watt and its registering 39-40W. This is cool. If I use monitor or if there is heavy HDD activity it goes to 55w.

I found this site to benchmark/tune HD. Found it cool.

One question, what should be the Block size for the HDD when the comp is saving the DVD ISO that I downloading. Also if I can use any kind of Ram Disk software...Any recommendation....?????

I currently have it at 32K. Is it too low considering that the ISOs will be atleast 4GB...I also noticed that as I have enabled Cache in Device Setting for HDD in System Properites, the computer is not saving as it downloads to HDD , instaed collects it in Memory and in one shot saves it to HDD. Got a program that optimizes the Ram and it shows my free Ram shrinking gradually as it downloads and then every 30 min, this soft optimizes the Ram thereby forcing the write to HDD.

Regards,
Shaurya

I guess I'm not exactly sure what you are trying to optimize. Power consumption? Bandwidth? Hard drive space? File transfers? What?

Use UltraVNC for remote control (KVM).

Ramdisk will not gain you much of anything with the way most operating systems are written today. If you use various disk-based utilities or files repeatedly and very quickly, a ramdisk might help those load faster, but most applications will already use memory to their best advantage. If you are doing any data conversion or processing of video from/to files, for example, it might help to have the data files in ramdisk, but if you're talking about DVD images, you'll need 5+GB RAM or even double that if you are processing from input to output.

Of course, the way torrent works, you're only giving out small slices of files, not the whole thing, so having the whole file in memory is an almost complete waste. Just increase the cache in your torrent software.

As far as bandwidth is concerned, I'm assuming you're looking at file transfers, mostly. There are many interesting articles around the Inet about why Windows sucks at file transfers. If you are serious about file transfer speeds, look into Linux and other systems that are or can be tuned to support faster file transfers. Of course, that may all be moot if your network or Inet connection bandwidth is marginal.

Hope something here helps.

Back