Looking for something to push a button automatically

dzirkelb

I'm looking for something that will automatically push a button. Meaning, if I put a car starter under this device, I can have home automation turn the device on, which will push the button down somehow, hold it, then release.

I have many applications for this including an application for automating some video games on iDevices (just sit in a corner and automatically attack mobs), automatically start your car with a car starter, and anything else that cant' be controlled via home automation like turning on a radio in the morning in your bathroom, the 20 dollar radios you get a walmart, by pressing the remote On button.

Any ideas on where I would start? Or, what forums I should look at?

you could always wire in a relay to the wire side of the button in parallel (or Series) and have the relay activate...

As far as where to look, you've come to the right place. Be patient, I'm sure there will be a few good suggestions.

Solenoids - while power is applied, they exert force; when power is released, they stop (often a spring is used to retract it). They come in push or pull configurations.

Look inside your doorbell - that's often what rings the bell.

http://www.mouser.com/Search/Refine.aspx?Keyword=push+solenoid

You mean something like this?

http://www.cocoontech.com/portal/articles/tutorials/home-automation/11-how-to-remote-start-your-car-with-home-automation

Everyone helped me big time here...solonoids is what I was thinking of. And, i think I got the idea from the link provided to the make shift automatic car starter :)

Now, I know nothing of what kind of solonoid to get. I'll probably want one to push a garage door opener, one to start a car (hold for 3 seconds), and one to push down on an ipad (I am going to create a make shift hack of one of my games so my character will play overnight while I am sleeping and make me money :).

So, I'm a little nervous about the ipad one because I really don't want to push down too hard and crack the screen, but I dont' even know if these have power to crak it or not.

so, I need to know what type to get, what power rating, and all involved. I work at an electronic distrubution center, so I can probably get a couple for free :)

I'll build all the enclosures and the power matrix, that will be the real fun part :)

Everyone helped me big time here...solonoids is what I was thinking of. And, i think I got the idea from the link provided to the make shift automatic car starter :)

Now, I know nothing of what kind of solonoid to get. I'll probably want one to push a garage door opener, one to start a car (hold for 3 seconds), and one to push down on an ipad (I am going to create a make shift hack of one of my games so my character will play overnight while I am sleeping and make me money :).

So, I'm a little nervous about the ipad one because I really don't want to push down too hard and crack the screen, but I dont' even know if these have power to crak it or not.

so, I need to know what type to get, what power rating, and all involved. I work at an electronic distrubution center, so I can probably get a couple for free :)

I'll build all the enclosures and the power matrix, that will be the real fun part :)

I understand where you ultimately want to end up, but your path just seems all wrong to me. For example, remote start already exists for a car, why not get a second remote, and wire in a contact closure controlled by a HA system, same could be done with a garage door opener. And if you want to turn a cheap radio on or off just plug it into a controlled outlet, or appliance controller and leave it on.

wire in a contact closure controlled by a HA system
Yeah, this seems like what you want to do could be better accomplished by using a contact rather than introducing mechanical energy into the equation. All except for the iPad... which, yes, could easily be cracked by the wrong (or right?) solenoid.

Sometimes that's not an option. I built that car remote starter because my car could not handle additional remotes (I had several other keys stored in the car's computer system), plus didn't have access to cheap I/O back then. Some systems have high end keyfobs/remotes now as well, so it might be cost prohibitive to buy another remote just for automation.

If you have access to the opposite side of the switch, the issue is easy. In that case, i generally use an OPTO FET. The Vactac VTL5C1 optoisolator uses leads on both ends. For a large item, you can place one of these across the contacts, add a diode and a current limiter and you can use any voltage from about 3 to 30 V to hit the switch.

Your car remote is the easy one.

Some other ideas would be to use a speaker cone or an RC servo.

Back