Looking for source of LEDs to replace incandescent bulbs

jay

I have most of my landscape bulbs changed over to MR16 equivs but I have a number of fixtures that use what appear to be auto tail light bulbs which I'd like to replace.
The Westinghouse bulbs I use are bayonet types and the package IDs them as 12S8/93T/12V/CD2.
White light would be great.
TIA

Attachments

• IMG_0338.JPG
    IMG_0338.JPG
    21 KB · Views: 3
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&Page2Disp=%2Ftail-brake-turn.html

Search "1156 LED bulb" on google and you might find some others.

One note of concern - I had read about a lot of the cheap chinese "replacement" automotive bulbs overheating and melting the fixtures - try to check for reviews first for quality.

I replaced my tail lights with LED about 5 years ago and they are still working today. That said I went to "low" end LEDs which still cost me around $600 for the pair. It was though a major job to remove the old lighting assembly and replace it with the new LED assembly.

I think that's different when it's an entire assembly - it can be built to dissipate heat; whereas trying to replace just a standard bulb with an LED bulb can resort to it not dissipating heat efficiently and thus melting the fixture.

Thanks for the tip Work2Play. I'll check reviews. The fixtures are all-metal path lights and I leave the bulbs open to the air.

Last week I had a failure of a 5 cree like 12VDC LED lamp outside in a totally sealed landscaping housing.

4 of the 5 lamps failed and were blinking strobe like kind of stood out with the rest of the LED landscaping lamps. These were purchased for $3.00 USD each and are identical to the ones I have seen sold stateside for $29.00 USD each. The lamp housings on these are screwed together with the LED lamps mounted on metal and the back of the lamp acting as a heatsink. The cover over the LEDs has 5 plastic lenses which fit over each LED. I've been able to test with spare parts whether its the LED lamps or the 12VDC circuit that goes bad. Mostly its been the circuits rather than the LEDs.

I have a few of the Kichler decorative path lights with open bayonet type converted to LED lamps (open to the air) and these have done OK so far. I am using the 5 small SMD mounted bi-pin warm white LED lamps. They face down with the bi-pin going into a tiffany style glass holder. I have other pathlights in the front which are metal and glass. Inside of the housing is a opaque glass diffuser. I like this better than the open Kichler bi-pin set up.

Here I am using bright warm white mini bi-pin LEDs which are doing well. In fact I used the same LEDs for the deck lighting which was originally using a bayonet type mounting bracket. I took the bi-pin LEDs and bent the ends such that they would fit snuggly inside of the bayonet mounts and they have worked well now for about 6 months so far. I tried the bayonet multi SMD LEDs and didn't really like the light; they were too bright.

I switched from 12VAC commercial landscaping toroidal type multitap/multivoltage transformers to 12VDC regulated DIN mounted power supplies. Way smaller power supplies. The lamps I purchased all mentioned 12VDC/VAC and no polarity. They do have the tiny rectifiers / voltage transformers or whatever they are called? I have removed and utilized them to test other LED bulbs.

I have a small collection now of just the LEDs and voltage conversion circuits. Its become a few now as I always purchase the LED lamps in quantity versus one or two of them.

I test one or the other now if and when they fail.

I have most of my landscape bulbs changed over to MR16 equivs but I have a number of fixtures that use what appear to be auto tail light bulbs which I'd like to replace.
The Westinghouse bulbs I use are bayonet types and the package IDs them as 12S8/93T/12V/CD2.
White light would be great.
TIA

I changed my landscape MR-16 lights over to LEDs back in 2007, very few problems - I put in on my web site http://www.led-guy.com/

Back