Lost some faith in reviews posted on alarm/automation sites...

motjebben

I recently purchased a Z-wave device from geoarm.com where I have happily purchased items before.

The unit I received is marginal at best; it is within 10 feet of the controller with no major obstructions and still loses/regains connection. I contacted geoarm a few times for assistance without response, which really surprised me.

Anyway, I filled in a review at their site and saved a screenshot of what I posted for my folder of products, receipts, etc. When I checked the geoarm.com site yesterday, I found my review, but they had changed my review, including increasing the number of stars I gave the product, my wording, and that I could only get connection at 10 feet (they said 20 feet).

Now I no longer trust reviews on geoarm.com. Does anyone recommend another site or two for buying DIY alarms and automation?

Kind regards,
Michael

They sound pretty slimey - I hope you call them out on it.

I have used 123securityproducts and alarmsystemstore.com for many years. I think they are actually sister companies. I chose them based on best price, but I have never had a problem with them - they have been fast and accurate. But of course, I have never submitted a review.

Reviews on many sites (including Amazon.com etc) are all contaminated like this, and almost useless, dealing with this right now as I'm trying to find certain products.

It's actually one of the reasons I recently created Community Reviews for products on this site, as these will be carefully monitored for manipulation, and most will be from actual active members here. The feature is brand new, but I added a few listings to give an example (still working out details).

If you're looking for Z-Wave devices, I'd try The Smartest House first (no affiliate/involvement, just a big fan). Homeseer also carries a great selection of hardware, and can be trusted.

They sound pretty slimey - I hope you call them out on it.

I have used 123securityproducts and alarmsystemstore.com for many years. I think they are actually sister companies. I chose them based on best price, but I have never had a problem with them - they have been fast and accurate. But of course, I have never submitted a review.
Thank you for the references. I DID reach out via email to GeoArm, but I do not have much faith they'll respond or pay attention. I was tempted to comment on one of their Facebook posts, but that seems particularly tacky.

Reviews on many sites (including Amazon.com etc) are all contaminated like this, and almost useless, dealing with this right now as I'm trying to find certain products.

It's actually one of the reasons I recently created Community Reviews for products on this site, as these will be carefully monitored for manipulation, and most will be from actual active members here. The feature is brand new, but I added a few listings to give an example (still working out details).

If you're looking for Z-Wave devices, I'd try The Smartest House first (no affiliate/involvement, just a big fan). Homeseer also carries a great selection of hardware, and can be trusted.
I recently discovered The Smartest House and have received multiple products from them. In fact, I bought two Zooz 800-series plugs (and more) from them that have been WONDERFUL! Thank you!

Back