LV cable management inside a roof space?

Most commercial vendors don't have stock lists, unless it's a national chain and they have an automated web presence, or they're super specialized.  They have 'line cards', listing the manufacturers they carry.  

Just ask what brands of cable hangers they carry.

Where in the US?  Where did you order from?  CT Sponsors?  Some offer discounts, if you ask correctly.

10" zip ties with eyelets for screws for hanging from truss.

Use the smallest zip ties to tighten up any sag between truss zip ties.

Check monoprice.com for price and materials

Yes, that would work, however my area of the country, ty-raps are not allowable for horizontal cable support. Vertical cable management or bundling of cables, yes. The OP's MMV.

What's MMV mean? Just out of couristy do you know why they disallow zip ties? Anything to do with then dry and become brittle?

I know the J Hooks you guys are talking about and they just scream $$ to the power of 4. Hahha, well I'm sure their not outrageous I try to use materials that are abundant for price and supply reasons.

How about P-Clamps? You can buy them almost anywhere, you want the one with rubber or plastic coating, come in many sizes being he wants to run many Different runs, can buy bags in bulks.

I use them in all kinds of temps from 150F down to -50F And never seen one break unless my impact tool got ahold of it.
http://m.grainger.com/mobile/category/fasteners/ecatalog/N-bi6Z1z0dvfc

I assume he meant Mileage May Vary, based on the acronym YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary. Interpret as, you may have different results.

Yup; here have a few of those plastic PVC for plumbing J-Hooks.  Thinking at the time of purchase they were a couple of dollars each and abundant in any of the big box hardware stores about 10 years ago.  Today the few I have in the attic have been fine (10 years later).

SIOUX CHIEF DWV J-Hook, 2 Dia,Pk4

$6.82 USD for four of them is a reasonable price.

CharlieWayne said:
What's MMV mean? Just out of couristy do you know why they disallow zip ties? Anything to do with then dry and become brittle?

I know the J Hooks you guys are talking about and they just scream $$ to the power of 4. Hahha, well I'm sure their not outrageous I try to use materials that are abundant for price and supply reasons.

How about P-Clamps? You can buy them almost anywhere, you want the one with rubber or plastic coating, come in many sizes being he wants to run many Different runs, can buy bags in bulks.

There's multiple reasons brought up by AHJ's, all of which I can agree with. Many of the same arguments can be had for velcro. In order:

1. Nylon dries out over time...even opened bags of ty-raps become "stale" if you have them out in the open and exposed. I can't explain it to a non-trade experience, but they lose their tensile strength. Even the UV rated ones dry out. They have a finite shelf life. Ever jostle a ty-rap after it's been installed for a year or two and gone through thermal cycles?

2. The tensile strength of ty-raps is around 50# on the tie. When you start considering some of the bundles that get supported by loops, hooks, straps, etc. you're well within the threshold.

3. They are not rated or listed for supporting horizontal cable runs. While many disagree, ty-raps are for cable management. Yes, I've been guilty of using them to hang a cable or piece of flex on something like a chain link fence for a short span, but that's it.

4. The AHJ's do not like them if there is a fire. The FD tends to pull down ceilings and finishes to locate and fight fires. Ty-raps easily melt far below the cable or substrate's fire rating. This can lead to entanglement issues. The AHJ's cite the same reason why the code books specifically call out for wiring methods to have their own independent method of support, same above drop/false ceilings and why strapping to other materials/pipes is also not allowed.

5. People don't select the right ty-rap for the application many times. How many people use regular plastic ones outside? How many use non-plenum ty-raps in plenum spaces? How many times are they used in areas/locations where stainless banding should be used?

Personally, when pulling cable that is rated for data, the largest issue is going to bearing point in relation to the cable bundle and weight over time. This is why I don't like people using plumbing J-hooks or similar, but the larger issue (sorry Pete) is when you read the code book is clear as day: NOT LISTED FOR USE AND APPLICATION. It may work, but in my case as a pro, I can't pick up plumbing fittings, bushings or the like and use them for my application. Same reason why they make sweeps, LB's and other fittings for pulling cable but you don't use a plumbing 90 on conduit.

P clips are very labor intensive. There are applications, such as running exposed cabling on something like a pole building or I've used them on mini-storage units with camera cabling. Look at the cost of the largest size, $1 a fastener, plus screw and labor is going to add up just as quick as other methods. For that matter, I'd rather use something like drive rings or bridle rings (assuming no data runs, but strictly LV cable). If I'm going to deal with screws and the like, I might as well use D-rings for the amount of labor involved.

I am a craftsman by trade and understand what you saying. I've gone through bags of zip ties that had been expired just to have them snap or break, but that was in extreme places with temps in the -30s.

How many CAT cables in one bundle does it take to max out a 50 lb zip tie on 3-4' centers or less? I see J hooks working when you have a LARGE bundle but not for a lone wire.

How do you organize your main runs of various cable with j hooks? Do you keep all your different systems separated or bundle them as one?

The P clamps are very malleable and don't have to be used as P Clamps. The smaller ones could be used for baby J hooks for lone wires run if zip ties aren't your cup of tea. By design a P-Clamp is meant to cinch a harness, and using them in their original intent would be labor intensive as you say.

Decided to go a 3mm catenary wire for the main cable trunking. Have not designed the final layout and won't until the roof trusses are set in a few weeks time. Will use some eyelet coach screws to allow for changes in direction to follow the main cable paths. Probably will have a few separate catenary spurs connecting back to the main catenary system.

Have just completed all the cable plans, M1, telecoms, network, C-Bus, AV etc etc and can see now where the cable traffic is. Unfortunately as part of this contract build we get to follow the sparky so we get the fun job of segregation compliance. The catenary system is in part going to assist in the segregation to the LV (240v) cabling that will be everywhere due to the C-Bus installation.

Intend using zip ties along the catenary system initially and when all cabling is loaded use Velcro wrap off a continuous roll to secure the cable for the long haul. Bought a couple of rolls from good old Monoprice.

No doubt there will be the requirement for liberal use of flexible conduit to assist with segregation.

Cheers,

Fleetz

we get to follow the sparky so we get the fun job of segregation compliance. The catenary system is in part going to assist in the segregation to the LV (240v) cabling that will be everywhere due to the C-Bus installation.

Guessing follow the sparky means following the electrician.

What is segregation compliance and what are the rules there?

What is the catenary system?

Back