M1 and HVAC

upstatemike

I currently use RCS RS-485 thermostats controlled by my Stargate. This has been one of the best automation implementations in my house because the Stargate, in addition simple setback and control, will do things like provide voice confirmation of manual settings. Because this is working so well I want to keep the stargate connection in place but would also like to connect them to an M1 for possible future control via Elk RM.

If I was to connect an ELK-M1XSP to the RCS RS-485 hub, would it be able to see and control the RCS thermostats? Or would it crash the RS-485 line due conflicts with the Stargate? Is there a way to set the M1XSP to an address other than 0 on the RCS RS-485 network? (The Stargate address is not configurable).

I do not think the RS-485 data bus' can be connected to two non compatible devices like the Stargate and M1XSP.

I do not think the RS-485 data bus' can be connected to two non compatible devices like the Stargate and M1XSP.

OK. I was hoping they would ignore each other and just talk to the thermostats but I guess I will have to pick one or the other.

Back