M1G Custom Voice Recording

Boomer

I would like to record a few of the 10 available custom voice slots on an M1G but I want to use .wav files directly connected from my computer to produce hi quality recordings. Documentation from ELK on recording is very limited. From what I can see, recording can only be done via a telephone handset. Has anyone else recorded voices from .wav files or is there a way to do it.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Hi Boomer - Welcome to CocoonTech!

There unfortunately is no direct way to load .wav files into the M1's 10 custom slots, the handset is the only way.

The way to do what you want is via the Elk magic modules like the Elk-129 and MV480. You'd have to hook the 129 to the PC to download .wav files into the 480 and then I believe use serial commands to invoke the .wav files. It does work but is not the best or most cost effective solution. If you are using a pc and software to supplement the M1 then you are probably better off doing this via the software. For example, I do all my TTS and .wav file stuff via CQC which can be triggered by stuff in the Elk.

Currently .wav files can not be directly input. You would have to play them into a telephone handset. The capability is on the list for the future.

Thank you both for your replies. I have found CT very helpful and interesting.

Spanky - For me that would be a great capability if added. I will keep my eye open for it sometime in the future.

Steve - I have thought of the solutions you suggested. For me the MV480 would be the best option. I like to keep the M1G pretty much autonomous to prevent such things as communication issues between systems and power failure issues from being a problem.

My concern with the MV480 is this. I am using Output 1 to drive the speakers in the house. The siren & voice output from the system works well for alarms and trouble. I don't want to install a parallel set of speakers for the MV480. Connecting the outputs from the M1G and the 480 in parallel can damage the amps on both devices when the other one is operating. Any suggestions?

What I am actually trying to do is provide doorbell sounds to the speakers. I have 4 different doors and want a different tone for each door. The doorbell buttons are monitored by the M1G which currently generates a voice announcement e.g. "Visitor is at front door". This is ok with me but not everyone in my house is enamored with a lot of voice announcements. Thus adding sounds such as ding, ding dong etc is my goal.

Thank you both again for your input!

I still say that adding direct support for the ELK-MV480 voice modue to the M1 would be a great solution for applications like this. That way the wav files could be transferred using the ELK-129.

By direct support I mean letting the ELK-MV480 sit on the keypad bus and be triggered from rules that reference a simple unit and channel number without having to create a complex ascii string.

Boomer said:
Steve - I have thought of the solutions you suggested. For me the MV480 would be the best option. I like to keep the M1G pretty much autonomous to prevent such things as communication issues between systems and power failure issues from being a problem.
I agree 100% and am a big proponent of using the M1 to its fullest and putting all mission critical stuff through it. But that's the point - is a doorbell considered mission critical? Personally I am not too concerned if someone needs to knock during a power outage. Would I go and setup a software system and pc just for that - no, but at some point you will want things even like good TTS that you will only get with software, and when you do, the doorbell sounds would be a perfect item to have there.

Steve said:
I agree 100% and am a big proponent of using the M1 to its fullest and putting all mission critical stuff through it.
I thought I was the only one that used the term "mission critical" when talking about the ELK :)

I absolutely agree, everything "mission critical" as far as securing the house goes, sits on the ELK. All other stuff hangs off the PC running Homeseer.

Pete

I wanted to add custom doorbell sounds to my Elk. I have connected a doorbell (non-lighted) to the ELK and plan to use a rule to switch the speakers to an ELK124 for custom announcements and then trigger the ELK124 channel with another output. I plan to eliminate my stupid wireless doorbell and this will allow me to hear the doorbell ring anywhere there is an ELK speaker.

Currently I have the doorbell triggering the Jetson's doorbell recorded though the phone and it sounds pretty rough.

I agree, having a way to input quality sound to the M1 would be a great improvement and would've saved me a lot of work.

Wuench

I have the Jetsons sound playing before house announcements through the house speakers, its very cool. I'm thinking of getting the voice module to fire off some announcements out the back and frontyard if there is someone on the property if the alarm is in away mode.....

Pete

Back