M1XEP and FIOS

I have FIOS and the actiontec router. I can't send emails vie the M1EXP. It's very frustrating. I have not seen any workarounds posted here. This thread describes the problem but workarounds were false alarms.

OK. Here's an update on where this issue stands.
First I would like to thank everyone here who has replied or provided suggestions. Special thanks to Dan who pointed me down the path to get the right info to Elk.

I just completed a conference call with Elk's M1XEP engineer, and he has a high level of confidence that what we are seeing is indeed the same problem that existed with the actiontec router. This is the first that Elk has heard of the westell router that is now being used in new fios installations. They will need to explore their options as to what the possible fixes / workarounds are and proceed from there. What, when, how fast, and whether they are able to provide a solution, is clearly at Elk's discretion. But at this time if you are looking at the combination of the M1XEP and FIOS with the westell, it is problematic. The only work around known at the moment is to run a SMTP proxy on a PC attached to the local LAN, or provide your own router, which can create problems with FIOS. I happen to have an actiontec, so I will probably try to go back to that while I wait to see if Elk comes up with anything.
Let me say that my decision to go with the Elk has only been bolstered by this event. The support and attitudes of the personnel at Elk has been exceptional. I thank them all.

Looks Like I am also in the same boat. I have a Westell DSL modem, and I am not able to send e-mails also.

My Westell is currently set to "bridge" type.

I will make another post if I figure something out.

Steve

I have FIOS and the actiontec router. I can't send emails vie the M1EXP. It's very frustrating. I have not seen any workarounds posted here. This thread describes the problem but workarounds were false alarms.

Hi Art,
I managed to get mine working and it seems to be very consistent. Right now I have it send alerts on indoor motions during the night, or when away, to monitor whether the pets are tripping them to be sure of their adjustments before I move them live. I have also had my son connect from NY with no problems, and I send a text to multiple phones on an alarm. When I looked at your post in the older thread, I noticed you have "outgoing.yahoo.verizon.net. Assuming your tossing through verizons service, it should be outgoing.verizon.net. I actually pinged that URL, and use its IP address, since initially there was some thought that the DnS server was the issue. So following the rule of "if it ain't broke", I have "206.46.232.12" for my email server address. Additionally I put the M1XEP in the DMZ of the actiontec and got it working there, prior to sorting out the port forwarding. I do now have it functioning with the suggested ports forwarded and with it out of the DMZ. Finally I have a static IP assigned to the M1XEP, the actiontec as the default gateway (192.168.1.1), and 68.238.112.12 as primary, and 68.238.0.12 as secondary dns servers as provided by verizon. Only the secure port is enabled. (These settings are on the TCP/IP tab of the M1XEP.) The westell now serves as the MOCA bridge for the living room computer, until hopefully there is a fix so I can restore it to the primary router.
I hope this helps you!
Scrambled, I don't know that the DSL modem would be the same issue as the router. I am on fiber.
Regards,
Mark

blmxm-

This dsl modem is actually a router, but called a modem. I had to set it up as a bridge type inorder to access my system from the outside.

Sounds strange, but that is bellsouth for you.

Steve

Steve, Before FIOS (in FLA) I had a Westell combo AP/Switch/Modem for my DSL. I removed it and substitued it for a generic ATT style modem with one input (telephone DSL line) and one cat5 network out cable. Think I had one left over but they are easy to find for around $5-10. Funny but they never did PPPoe logins down there (where I was at) so the setup was relatively simple with no logging into the service.

I suggest you call Amy or Brad at Elk technical services and explain your issues with the Westell 9100EM router.

Hopefully it is not another can of worms!

An update on the verizon routers. My actiontec was fried in one of our Florida thunder storms. (I actually do like em still) Soo when Verizon showed up I expressed the need for another actiontec to keep my alarm online. The tech went out of his way to be helpful, driving back to the warehouse as he didn't have one on the truck. They had to search to find the last refurbed actiontec they had, and the property manager told him they are returning all the actiontecs, fazing them out for replacement with the westells. So hopefully Elk can address this on their end to avoid us reaching the point of having no hardware that will play with the XEP on FIOS. I don't want to rely on ebay auctions to keep the M1 online.

Back