M1XEP MAC Address changed

Mine changed to 00:40:9D:43:35:97 tonight after I power cycled it immediately after it powered up... It came up on 192.168.3.x, and took a while to get back onto the correct subnet, but it works fine now. Nice to know there's nothing to worry about.

You folks have me wondering...  I just updated M1G & XEP to latest f/w last evening.  Need to check the MAC addr.

I just had this happen to me and it was very, very confusing.  It followed the exact pattern that Elk mentioned - my first 3 elements were 00:40:9D, and the last 3 stayed the same as the original MAC address.  Power cycling the XEP flipped back and forth between two addresses, but it's now it's just stuck with 00:40:9D.  I was using DHCP with an address reservation, so this MAC address funny business was messing with the address assignment.  I switched the XEP to a static IP assignment and left the reservation in place to block out the IP address.  So far, that seems to be working.

Rob

grtaylor said:
My MAC went from 00:40:9D:7E:7B:E3 to 00:40:9D:43:35:97 - and set itself with a static IP address of 192.168.3.64. Not even the subnet I use anywhere at home.

Just for anyone else coming across this, mine did the same exact thing last night after a power failure. What I am not sure about is if it was immediate or if the battery backup running died and then it happened. Now to get in back on the correct settings!

It is very frustrating that this piece of equipment will default back to a static IP after a power failure. I've had this happen so many times now, that I'm fairly good at recognizing the problem, just wish it was more reliable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope, I let my router handle the static IP assignment, but with the number of times it's gone static on me, maybe I'll give it a go doing it that way from the XEP side. Good suggestion!

So you're letting the router handle DHCP reserved via MAC's? Seems counter intuitive to me or something different with your particular router. Haven't heard of too many assigning static IP's to hardware that is configured to DHCP.

I don't see too many advantages to getting the XEP on DHCP other than the initial setup and getting it online until you set a static or reserved IP on the unit. It's not like RP can find the unit via DHCP or any of the applications I know of....

Maybe someone else can chime in for the reasons?

I think reserving static IP's via MAC on the router is pretty common. I do it for a number of reasons, one, I have multiple devices that I need to always have assigned the same IP, so that I can get to them, without finding out what number they have been assigned. Secondly, I'd rather set a device's static IP via the router, as it lets me alter those addresses if I need to for some reason, without always having to figure out how to do it on the individual device (via who knows what method, remote or local). Just easier to always login to the router and do what I need there.

I guess.....but I deal with the opposite side on an enterprise level. If I need to swap a piece of hardware that it MAC blocked or reserved, it just adds the same amount of work on the backside in order to get it to work instead of dropping the static into the device once it's got a link.

Not mentioning a ton of hardware I deal with prefers a static compared to either DNS based or DHCP.

A device is either configured to use DHCP, or a manually assigned address(static).  If you have configured your dhcp server to reserve an ip address for a specific MAC, then its a reservation, or dhcp reservation, not a static address.

:)

Here have divided up my network in to static, DHCP scope and DHCP reservation.

I have a few devices that I can only configure with DHCP reservation.  (IE HDHomerun old and a couple of managed switches which I are currently locked with no access).

That said I also have edited the NIC roms for custom MAC addressing on my Tabletop touchscreens (which number 15-20 these days), static IP stuff for management purposes.

Some laptops/tables are configured here statically and a couple are using DHCP.

I think reserving static IP's via MAC on the router is pretty common.

On an enterprise level I have not really seen this much except for a few small office networks (IE: < 50) and residential networks.

My preference still today though is using static IPs and after that using static IPs and custom mac addressing.  That is me and what I play with here.

BTW looked up the Digi NIC stuff that RAL posted.  There are programs posted on the DIGI web site to flash the NIC rom.  Looks to be in the U-Boot section and methodology is serial (JTAG sort of).  Ideally the firmware updates should include a section to enter a unique mac address to match the sticker on the device.

Been playing here over the last year with a Realtek NIC programming software.  It is very old and works well relating to updating or programming a MAC address.  I have used it here as my tabletop tablets never did have a MAC address as the NIC module was blank.

I wouldn't play much with this and rather open a ticket such that Elk modifies the firmware update to not include a MAC change and offers some mechanism of returning the MAC address to the sticker value.

Back