M1XRFTW transmitter supervision loss

ddennerline

For some odd reason today, my Elk 2-way wireless produced two different “Lost Communication” messages. The log file has, “1381 = TRANSMITTER SUPERVISION LOSS.” Each message corresponded to a different window sensor. In order to clear the error condition and quiet the keypad beeping, I had to open/close the window.

M1XRFTW, Hardware Ver. 6.4, Boot Ver 1.0.5, Firmware Ver 1.2.56. This is latest firmware.

Before I contact Elk, Has anybody else experienced this condition?

The wireless install has been running fine for >6 months without any errors.

I've seen it happen.

When you did the initial installation, since you performed the installation have you done an Area test to check the signal level of the sensors? See page 17 of the M1 manual for how to enter the test mode, and page 47 for the small blurb below:

"NOTE: The M1 will voice announce a relative transmission level from 1 to 8 (8 being the highest level) at the time of enrollment of each wireless sensor AND during the “Walk Test Area” function activated from the keypad user menus."

I've been told that a transmission level of 4 is considered acceptable/good for Elk. I thought that was listed in their documentation somewhere, but I can't seem to locate it right now...

Thanks for suggestions. Have either of your Elk 2-way systems produced the error mentioned above. I am curious of other installs have seen the same exact error.

I did the walk test tonight, and all the transmitter/sensors are registering above a ‘5’. What’s very interesting is the sensors say the level after the window is closed and the level is not repeated multiple times. Also, the annunciation is not done for every window opening/closing. This behavior is different than GE sensors.

One of the benefits of Elk 2-way was supposed to be low-battery notification. The transmitters are supposed to test the battery. I did investigate the battery levels for suspect sensors. The batteries measured around 2.98v. I decided to just replace the CR2032 batteries with Energizer batteries as Elk ships with low quality batteries. Unfortunately, one the transmitters refuses to restart. I will have to contact Elk to see about warranty replacement.

d.dennerline said:
Thanks for suggestions. Have either of your Elk 2-way systems produced the error mentioned above. I am curious of other installs have seen the same exact error.
No I have not had the problem myuself
d.dennerline said:
I did the walk test tonight, and all the transmitter/sensors are registering above a ‘5’. What’s very interesting is the sensors say the level after the window is closed and the level is not repeated multiple times. Also, the annunciation is not done for every window opening/closing.
Is chime enabled on for all zones?

d.dennerline said:
This behavior is different than GE sensors.

One of the benefits of Elk 2-way was supposed to be low-battery notification. The transmitters are supposed to test the battery. I did investigate the battery levels for suspect sensors. The batteries measured around 2.98v.
That voltage is low for a no-load test. You did well to replace it.

d.dennerline said:
I decided to just replace the CR2032 batteries with Energizer batteries as Elk ships with low quality batteries. Unfortunately, one the transmitters refuses to restart. I will have to contact Elk to see about warranty replacement.

Just a follow-up. I sent in the suspect transmitters for warranty replacement. Elk replaced them (i.e., they stand behind their products). The only unfortunate problem now is trying to get all the sticky tape off window jamb without peeling the paint.

Back