Making latest Heather work - got one step closer

wrbrower

Hey everyone,
I have the older Heather, but no license key, and it works fine with HS.

I have bought the latest Heather and TextAloud (only way to do it legit) which has desktop V2.2. It does not show up in Windows Speech, nor does it show up in HS Spaker.

I tweaked the registery setting:
HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-1606980848-1972579041-839522115-1003\Software\NextUpTech\TextAloud

Changed the SapiVersion value from 2 to 5.

Now it shows up everywhere but still needs some Windows work arounds.

Anyone have an idea how I could solve the Class Not Regstered Exception Error?

ALso want to confirm, Windows and HS do not see Heather even with a registered NextUp running.

Thanks everyone!

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 25
Bill, just been re reading this.. your first line states you have Heather, the older one, working with NO licence!! you actually have the 30 day trial.. it will run past the 30 days but as soon as you restart the PC bosh, it stops.

If you move your system date forward 30 days you will have untold grief DONT do it :)

Moving the clock forward on a legitimate install fully legal KILLS the voice server and a total registry cleanout is the only way to get it back running.

As for the new voice, getting it to show up is one thing... getting the voice to work is like having another wife :D you know what I mean LOL

If you need someone else to play with on this let me know, Ill re instal the voice, either old or new and play along.

TrOjAn

What's a good program that tracks everything an install of a program adds to the registry? I thought it was GoBack, but that is closer to XP's System Restore.

I just want to drag out the 30 day trial long enough to get the V2.2 working if possible.

Thanks for the offer, we'll call it a group project!

I'm sure a lot of people would benefit.

Cheers, Bill

Bill,

before we go too far can I ask, what is your goal on this?? is it to allow people to run the newest heather with homeseer without a licence, with a licence? the licence is actually inside textaloud.. its a funy system but I would like to know where we are aiming at here.

TrOjAn

Actually that last post sounds like were looking at hacking the damn thing... that IS NOT what were after, sounded OK when I read it but looking at it a different way makes it read badly :)

So.. Bill, what are you hoping to do? is it purely t get the newest heather into HS2 ??

If so I would imagine its not going to happen as it is tied to textaloud running .. after 30 days anyway.

TrOjAn

It is my understanding that no recent purchases of Heather from Next Aloud will work with anything but Text Aloud.

Skibum said:
It is my understanding that no recent purchases of Heather from Next Aloud will work with anything but Text Aloud.
BUT - since it is a SAPI5 product I will continue to look to unlock it's full poential.

Boo-wha-hahhhhhhh

TrOjAn said:
Bill,

before we go too far can I ask, what is your goal on this?? is it to allow people to run the newest heather with homeseer without a licence, with a licence? the licence is actually inside textaloud.. its a funy system but I would like to know where we are aiming at here.

TrOjAn
Oh no, I want it to be purchased legit.

Because V2.1 had to have it's own license to work, are you afraid if I am succesful at unlocking it into a SAPI5 app then people won't have to pay for it?

I was so fixated on how it was licensed before I had not considered that.

wrbrower said:
Skibum said:
BUT - since it is a SAPI5 product I will continue to look to unlock it's full poential.

Boo-wha-hahhhhhhh
Actually, the licensing of Heather from Acapela changed and it is *not* SAPI compliant any longer. It is *only* licensed to be used in NextUp (Text Aloud) products. Any attempt to use it in anything else is considered hacking and a violation of the licensing and I don't think the mods here would want that. Not trying to be a party pooper, but I recently went thru this with NextUp and I just want to protect CT from any repercussions if hacking licensed software is discussed.

Interesting discussion.

I BOUGHT the old version of Heather, and only downloaded the trial of TextAloud to try it with HS2, only installed on one box to evaluate.

I liked it, but got busy with other things, and never did register Text Aloud.

Recently when I was about to register Textaloud, I noticed some posts on the HS Board that some things has changed.

Question - If I register (Buy) TextAloud now, will it work with the old Heather and HS2 ?

Steve,
I appreciate what you are saying. But what I am trying to do is probably no better than splitting hairs, but...

Is it 'hacking' software if I paid for it and the only thing I am modifying is my Windows registry?

JohnBullard said:
Question - If I register (Buy) TextAloud now, will it work with the old Heather and HS2 ?
Probably not.
Is it 'hacking' software if I paid for it and the only thing I am modifying is my Windows registry?
I'm not going to get into semantics and I'm not going to police this forum.

All I can tell you is I bought Heather in December 2005 when it was considered a beta version and SAPI4/5 compatible when used with TextAloud. In September I finally sat down to use it with CQC which is SAPI5 compliant (actually just uses default XP voice). I tried it with Text Aloud running and everything and got all kinds of errors, even in XP. I searched the NextUp forums and found several threads like this one so I did some checking around. Acapela changed their licensing and whatever else technically to make it work ONLY with NextUp products. I emailed Ken White at NextUp and he essentially confirmed Heather would only work directly with their products because of what Acapela did. After a few email exchanges he agreed to refund my money but all I wanted was a voice that worked so he gave me AT&T Kate and Paul in exchange for Heather.

So, the way I interpret it is that Heather is only licensed to work with NextUp products. Any attempt to do otherwise violates the license agreement. Thats my story and what I did, so interpret it and do what you feel you need to. I can tell you that Ken was very reasonable and is very willing to satisfy his customers.

Steve, must say I agree with you... I think whats started out as an honest person trying to get something to work can / may have repercussions for the CT boys.. perhaps we can take this off air??

Bill and anyone else, the OLD heather does indeed still work with the newest Textaloud and homeseer as it runs the old acapela server engine.

The new heather will only work with textaloud and NOT homeseer, and I still have problems running her compared to Kate.

Bill, if you, like me, have the old heather then surely theres nothing to be gained trying to get the new one to work, the old one does..

TrOjAn

Steve said:
JohnBullard said:
Probably not.
I'm not going to get into semantics and I'm not going to police this forum.

All I can tell you is I bought Heather in December 2005 when it was considered a beta version and SAPI4/5 compatible when used with TextAloud. In September I finally sat down to use it with CQC which is SAPI5 compliant (actually just uses default XP voice). I tried it with Text Aloud running and everything and got all kinds of errors, even in XP. I searched the NextUp forums and found several threads like this one so I did some checking around. Acapela changed their licensing and whatever else technically to make it work ONLY with NextUp products. I emailed Ken White at NextUp and he essentially confirmed Heather would only work directly with their products because of what Acapela did. After a few email exchanges he agreed to refund my money but all I wanted was a voice that worked so he gave me AT&T Kate and Paul in exchange for Heather.

So, the way I interpret it is that Heather is only licensed to work with NextUp products. Any attempt to do otherwise violates the license agreement. Thats my story and what I did, so interpret it and do what you feel you need to. I can tell you that Ken was very reasonable and is very willing to satisfy his customers.
I also bought Heather and can't use it anymore. I wonder if they would refund our money? Do you have Ken's email address? Thanks

John

Back