Moisture Meter Background

OK . . so about 5 minutes after posting my last note, I found the problem. Isn't that always the way?

My Watermark Soil Sensor had a bad connection on one of the terminals that came attached to its leads. I snipped about an inch of wire off the leads and restripped and now things are reading like one would expect.

Sorry for the false alarm.

HobbyBoards = +1
Watermark QA Team = -100

OK . . so about 5 minutes after posting my last note, I found the problem. Isn't that always the way?

My Watermark Soil Sensor had a bad connection on one of the terminals that came attached to its leads. I snipped about an inch of wire off the leads and restripped and now things are reading like one would expect.

Sorry for the false alarm.

HobbyBoards = +1
Watermark QA Team = -100

Very odd, I have never heard of a Watermark sensor with a bad connection. I will mention it to the Watermark people just to let them know. Glad you found your problem.

Eric

Hi, being quite new with these I got 2 moisture meter boards and Watermark-sensors recently.

Things work so far but I have noticed that the moisture (current) reading varies heavily with the soil temperature..
Without trying around another few days, I wondered wether there's any "compensation-formula" given the temperature (while calibration took place) and the min/max values for the current-reading ?

Michael

I too have noticed this quirk. I am using the leaf moisture sensor. When it's overcast and cool the sensor readings are lower than than when it is sunny and hot regardless of the wetness of the sensor. So if I want to turn on my irrigation system I have to adjust the cut in level. For example if I set my cut in level at 0.0065 when it's cool every thing is good. But if the weather gets sunny and hot the sensor level never gets as low as 0.0065 so I need to change my cut in reading to 0.0075 If I leave the setting 0.0075 when it gets cool and overcast then the irrigation system keeps cycling because it never gets the moisture level high enough. Any thoughts on how to correct for temperature so I can use a single set point?

Hi, being quite new with these I got 2 moisture meter boards and Watermark-sensors recently.

Things work so far but I have noticed that the moisture (current) reading varies heavily with the soil temperature..
Without trying around another few days, I wondered wether there's any "compensation-formula" given the temperature (while calibration took place) and the min/max values for the current-reading ?

Michael

Back