Monitoring alarms and fire safety

metilda

[SIZE=14.6667px]My naughty son scared me a lot last week. He was playing with a candle and lighter. Unfortunately, I was busy in my office and the babysitter was in a pretty sound sleep beside my son. He lighted up the candle somehow and was running with that. Holy crap! He fired the curtain. The babysitter was still in deep sleep and luckily a neighbor came for asking some sugar or something found this and doused the fire. What may have happened if she had not come? I can’t even think about it. My house is already having some security monitoring devices. But I failed to monitor as I was busy. I saw a blog which suggested by my friend. [/SIZE][SIZE=14.6667px] It describes the need for setting fire alarms, integrated with fire sprinklers, which releases water at the source of the fire when the alarm goes off. I haven’t installed it yet. Does anyone here have experience using  such a systems? Please share your experience[/SIZE]

You could maybe pay somebody enough to have the babysitter beaten in an alley.

You probably need to babyproof your house more seriously.

From the fire safety films I was shown, even after the fastest detections systems go off (smoke alarm) you have about one minute to get out of the house before the heat may sear your lungs from the 2100 degree air you will gasp on.

Have her beaten.

LarrylLix said:
You could maybe pay somebody enough to have the babysitter beaten in an alley.

You probably need to babyproof your house more seriously.

From the fire safety films I was shown, even after the fastest detections systems go off (smoke alarm) you have about one minute to get out of the house before the heat may sear your lungs from the 2100 degree air you will gasp on.

Have her beaten.
Yes ofcourse I am seriously thinking about babyproofing my home. And thank you for your time spending for me.

metilda said:
[SIZE=14.6667px]My naughty son scared me a lot last week. He was playing with a candle and lighter. Unfortunately, I was busy in my office and the babysitter was in a pretty sound sleep beside my son. He lighted up the candle somehow and was running with that. Holy crap! He fired the curtain. The babysitter was still in deep sleep and luckily a neighbor came for asking some sugar or something found this and doused the fire. What may have happened if she had not come? I can’t even think about it. My house is already having some security monitoring devices. But I failed to monitor as I was busy. I saw a blog which suggested by my friend [/SIZE][SIZE=14.6667px] It describes the need for setting fire alarms, integrated with fire sprinklers, which releases water at the source of the fire when the alarm goes off. I haven’t installed it yet. Does anyone here have experience using  such a systems? Please share your experience[/SIZE]
I live in the few places in the US that requires fire sprinklers in residential buildings.  In fact we have had the requirement for over 20 years. I recently read a study looking at 15 years of data, and during that time, there were NO deaths here in homes that had sprinklers. This in a city of over 200,000. 

So sprinklers DO work.  Now having said that adding them to a home, especially an existing home isn't cheap.  They require little to no maintenance.

In your case, lacking sprinklers what you can do is make sure your home is fully covered with smoke alarms, especially in kids room, and buy some fire extinguishers that you keep around the house. They can keep small fires from spreading, if your home and know how to use them.  

Also sprinklers can be added to most homes but it is expensive.

ano said:
I live in the few places in the US that requires fire sprinklers in residential buildings.  In fact we have had the requirement for over 20 years. I recently read a study looking at 15 years of data, and during that time, there were NO deaths here in homes that had sprinklers. This in a city of over 200,000. 

So sprinklers DO work.  Now having said that adding them to a home, especially an existing home isn't cheap.  They require little to no maintenance.

In your case, lacking sprinklers what you can do is make sure your home is fully covered with smoke alarms, especially in kids room, and buy some fire extinguishers that you keep around the house. They can keep small fires from spreading, if your home and know how to use them.  

Also sprinklers can be added to most homes but it is expensive.

I second this opinion.  When I purchased my home, the regulation for mandating sprinkler systems was teetering on passing right before I closed and broke ground on the home.  Shortly after I broke ground, the regulation passed that required systems on homes greater than 4400 sqft.  Shortly after that, it was repealed.  The builder told me that if I would have had to put it in my new construction, it would have added $15,000 to the cost of the home.  I cannot imagine how costly it would be to put this in an existing home.

The ides listed are great lol, have the sitter beaten. Fire proof (or kid proof from starting fires), and have extinguishers handy. Working with installers of such sprinklers in the past and I've asked them about how the trigger, and it would be awhile before that head would release water (there is a glass filled tube with liquid that expands when heated) your wall would have to start burning for those to activate. My two cents

Thank God that everybody is safe. Please be careful while appointing a babysitter. Try to look after your baby by yourself. 

Back